|“||That title is correct to represent [me], but it’s incorrect as my given name. I am here as <Liber Legis> due to the order of [me]. That’s why I’m the <Liber Legis>, I’m nothing else than that.||„|
|~ Vel upon being called by Nyarlathotep's nickname|
Vel is the nickname given by Homura Kamishiro to the personification of his grimoire, Liber Al vel Legis, also called Liber Legis (Book of the Law). Vel is the grimoire handed to Aleister Crowley and humanity by the Man of Darkness one hundred years ago, granting them knowledge of magic and giving them the chance to fight back against the demons invading their planet. However, humanity only managed to decipher a small part of Vel through the sacrifice of many people, as the knowledge she carries is too evil and unintelligible for regular human minds to comprehend.
In truth, the Man of Darkness was Nyarlathotep, and Vel is one of its avatars, the knowledge of that evil god turned into the shape of a book. Nyarlathotep would eventually give Vel to a young Homura Kamishiro using another avatar. Homura managed to completely decipher her, causing Vel to swear allegiance to him and become his weapon.
Powers and Stats
Tier: Likely at least 6-B
Name: Vel, Liber Al vel Legis, Liber Legis, Nyarlathotep, The Crawling Chaos
Origin: Ultimate Antihero
Classification: Artifact, Grimoire, Evil God, Avatar of Nyarlathotep
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Magic, Elemental Manipulation, Fire Manipulation, Earth Manipulation, Air Manipulation, Ice Manipulation, Gravity Manipulation, magic barriers, can dispel enemy magic spells, Healing, Energy Manipulation, Light Manipulation, Time Manipulation, Spatial Manipulation, can boost her speed, can absorb magic power through physical touch, Durability Negation, Flight, Shapeshifting, can fuse with her owner, Poison Manipulation, Mind Manipulation, Immortality (Type 1)
Speed: Likely at least Subsonic (Should be superior to Sumika) with Supersonic reactions (Managed to save Sumika from an attack from Gabriel)
Lifting Strength: Unknown
Striking Strength: Unknown
Durability: At least Country level with magic barriers (Blocked a few of Gabriel's attacks)
Range: Likely several kilometers with magic
Standard Equipment: None notable
Intelligence: Deep knowledge of magic
Weaknesses: None notable
- Sorceries: As the Liber Legis, Vel holds the knowledge of the thousand sorceries available to humans. Homura Kamishiro obtained his power from deciphering her, and she's the source that gave humanity the knowledge of magic. What follows are the few sorceries she has done on her own, but it can be presumed that she can use any sorcery used by Homura or other magicians.
- Elder Sign (Ancient Seal): A powerful silver pentagram-shaped magic barrier that Homura can use to cover an entire battlefield. Homura has occasionally used the Elder Sign to summon Evil Gods.
- Radiant Trapezohedron: A powerful magic barrier in the shape of a black diamond.
- Poison of Gla’aki: The poison of the divinity called Gla’aki degrades the living into an undead without any will, it is an evil deadly poison that blasphemes life, being very effective against souls with high spirit rank like angels. Just by touching his skin this poison caused great pain to Archangel Gabriel and dirtied his soul, causing his silver body to turn black and start to dissolve. Vel was able to enchant Sumika's bullets with this poison during their fight with Gabriel.
- Dispel: The ability to dispel a sorcery, undoing the formula behind it to render it useless. Because of how it works, it's only effective against spells from a magic system that the user has deep knowledge of. Dispel is also useless against magic attacks that are simply raw magic power, as there's no formula to undo.
- Shapeshifting: Vel can transform into various shapes to help her owner, be it her book form, a flurry of pages, a black sword or a pair of handguns.
- Mind Pollution: Vel's eyes shine with a scarlet light, and anyone who gazes into her eyes will have their consciousness assaulted by the knowledge of evil gods and the abyss. Most people will feel physically sick from this small contact with the unknown. This mental assault can be endured by those who have already had contact with Evil Gods, such as Sumika.
- Half God Transformation: Vel can temporarily fuse with her owner, combining their magic powers. She doesn't use this ability while under contract with Homura, as he's too strong and she would only drag him down and make him weaker, but she used it with Sumika.