Terra Branford, called Tina in the Japanese version, is a playable character in Final Fantasy VI. Her unique abilities make her a key player in the war between the Gestahlian Empire and the rebel factions. Her gameplay name before the player names her is ??????, and her "name" in dialogue is Girl.
Yoshinori Kitase has stated that Final Fantasy VI has no official main character, as the developers aimed to give the entire cast equal development and status without anyone standing above the rest. However, Terra features prominently in much of the game's artwork and is pivotal to its plot; she is present in the game's logo, the game's main theme is named after her, and she was chosen as the heroine to represent Final Fantasy VI in Dissidia Final Fantasy. She is often considered the game's central protagonist, which would make her the first female protagonist in the mainstream Final Fantasy series.
Terra Branford was born in the Land of Espers, to an Esper father (Maduin) and a human mother (Madeline). Two years after she was born, the Gestahlian Empire raided the Land of Espers and abducted Maduin. Madeline, with her last breath, told the Emperor Gestahl to keep away from her daughter; however, it was too late. Terra grew up in the custody of the Empire and was raised as a weapon of mass destruction. The exact details of this part of her life are unknown, but she developed a fondness for Moogles during this time and enjoyed fluffing their fur. Eventually, the Imperial general Kefka Palazzo took a keen interest in her and put a Slave Crown on her head, forcing her to obey his orders directly. Among them was to annihilate fifty of the Empire's finest soldiers, which she did with ease. Presumably, this was a test of whether the slave crown actually worked and/or her ability to do so.
Powers and Stats
Tier: 5-A | At least 5-A | At least 6-A to at least 5-A
Name: Terra Branford
Origin: Final Fantasy VI
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Magic, Summoning, Elemental Manipulation (Of the fire, ice, lightning, wind, earth and water variety), Energy Blasts, Flight and Levitation, Petrification, Telekinesis, Teleportation, Regeneration (Mid-Low), Gravity Manipulation, Able to harm intangible beings with both physical and magic attacks, Poison Manipulation, Barrier Creation, Time Manipulation (In the variety of speeding herself up and slowing/stopping opponents), Transmutation (In the form of transforming others into imps), Invisibility, Sleep Inducement
Attack Potency: Large Planet level (Able to affect the weakened Warring Triad and God Kefka with her magic, where a Warring Triad empowered Gestahl failed miserably at bypassing the Triad's innate magic absorption power, also able to damage portions of Kefka's Tower with telekinesis) | At least Large Planet level | At least Continent level (Espers on the level of Ifrit possesses this level of power) to Large Planet level (Higher-tiered Espers like Alexander are capable of feats of this magnitude, even being powerful enough to negate Kefka's innate magic absorption that he inherits from the Warring Triad on top of being implied to be able to harm Kefka at all)
Speed: Sub-Relativistic (Mach 8,990+, should be comparable to Kefka during the battle in Thamasa by the end of the game) | Sub-Relativistic+ (Traversed thousands of kilometers in seconds with flight)
Lifting Strength: Superhuman | Higher
Range: Extended melee range with weapons, thousands of kilometers with magic via powerscaling (Terra's one of the most powerful Espers introduced in the game) | Upwards of thousands of kilometers
Standard Equipment: Her sword, Apocalypse (her exclusive weapon) or potentially the Ultima Weapon (no canonical indication of who wields it, though she's one of 4 that can), the Gauntlet given to her by Banon (Unknown whether the optional Genji Glove is canon, as it is given as a secret)
Intelligence: As a Half-Esper, Terra is extremely adept and gifted in the use of magic, wielding several of the games most powerful spells and having one of the highest magic stats in the game. Though she is initially fearful of her powers and confused due to being rendered an amnesiac by the Empire's experiments, she later gains the resolve to use them to her fullest potential, allowing her to fight on par with Kefka who had become the God of Magic by that point of the story. She is also capable in close combat, wielding swords and knives, and is known to be able to claw at foes in her Esper form.
Weaknesses: While she has vast reserves, her ability to cast magic is limited by her supply of mana. She is naive and scared at times due to her amnesia, and holds a soft spot for both children and cute animals. She can only use Riot Blade when she is hard-pressed. She does not like to fight and would prefer to avoid it if she can. She can only remain in her Esper Form for a limited duration.
- Esper Form/Trance: When Terra absorbs enough magic from her surroundings, she is able to change into her Esper Form, doubling her attack potency and cutting all magical damage taken in half.
- Riot Blade: Terra's Desperation Attack and her EX Burst in Dissidia, she charges magical energy in her arms before unleashing several blades of magical energy that decimate targets struck. In the arcade edition of Dissidia, she is able to use this attack as a counter move, defending against attacks with a magical shield before countering with an x-shaped blade of energy.
- Ultima: Unleashes the might of a powerful, lost magic to obliterate foes, and is the most powerful ability in Terra's arsenal short of Riot Blade.
- Fire: Fires a small burst of flame along the ground that follows the opponent, launching them skyward if it connects.
- Firaga: A high-level fire spell that can be used on its own or as a followup to fire, Terra engulfs her opponent in a massive burst of flame to reduce them to ashes.
- Blizzara: Attacks with a frigid block of ice that splits into additional projectiles on imapct to deal even more damage.
- Blizzard Combo: Spin forward while striking the opponent with shard of ice, then hits twice more and knocks them away.
- Thundara: Attacks the opponent with powerful lightning bolts that converse on the target.
- Graviga: Rapidly increases the gravity around her opponent, crushing their bones and organs, which in-game is reflected by reducing the target's vitality by 75% in a single attack.
- Arise: A high level healing spell that revives a fallen comrade to complete health. Can also destroy undead.
- Cura: A mid level healing spell that restores health.
- Poisona: A healing spell that cures poison.
- Dispel: Eliminates opponent's buffs.
- Holy: A very powerful spell that destroys foes with holy energy.
- Holy Combo: Conjure five orbs of light imbued with Holy. If it hits, follow up by shooting five Flare balls/
- Flood: A very powerful water spell, that summon bursts of water from under all enemies.
- Tornado: A very powerful wind spell, that summons three tornadoes to circle her, striking opponents multiple times, before the three tornadoes converge into one. Can deflect attacks. In her home game, this ability also has the property of leaving an opponent on their last legs should it connect, regardless of how much vitality they had remaining.
- Meltdown: A high-level fire and wind-elemental magic that covers a massive area with powerful flames, making it just as dangerous to one's allies as it is to one's opponents.
- Break: Petrifies opponent by turning them into stone.
- Teleport: Allows her to escape from a battle.
- Drain: Allows her to drain her opponent's stamina to replenish her own.
- Haste: Speeds up time around herself or her allies relative to their opponents, increasing their effective combat speed.
- Slow: Slows down time around her opponents, lowering their effective combat speed.
- Stop: Freezes time around her opponents, rendering them incapable of action.
Other: The profile covers the canon version of Terra.
Note: Given little canon information is given on the sort of espers Terra has at her disposal at any given time, its up to the discretion of the thread maker to specify which, if any, espers she has access to in the thread.
Key: Base | Esper Form | Summons