|“||She truly loved this world. That is why she became a Shinigami, to fight for justice. And I did not wish to allow that justice for which she fought to go unrealized. I swore to devote my own life to carrying on her wish. That is why I became a Shinigami.||„|
|~ Tōsen to Komamura|
Kaname Tōsen (東仙 要, Tōsen Kaname) was the captain of the 9th Division of the Gotei 13 until he betrayed Soul Society, alongside Sōsuke Aizen and Gin Ichimaru. This betrayal put him at odds with his former best friend Sajin Komamura, as well as his former lieutenant in the 9th Division, Shūhei Hisagi. He formerly served as the 5th Seat of the 9th Division under Kensei Muguruma.
Powers and Stats
Tier: At least 7-C | At least 7-C | At least 7-C, likely higher
Name: Tōsen Kaname
Classification: Former Captain of the 9th Division, Hollow-Shinigami Hybrid, Commander of Aizen’s Arrancar Army
Attack Potency: At least Town level (Casually cut off Grimmjow's arm) | At least Town level (Stronger than base, can effortlessly block attacks from Komamura's Bankai) | At least Town level (Oneshot Komamura's Bankai), likely higher (He claimed to be superior to the Espada)
Lifting Strength: Unknown
Striking Strength: At least Class TJ | At least Class TJ | At least Class TJ, likely higher
Durability: At least Town level | At least Town level (Withstood a backhand from Komamura's Bankai with only a broken arm) | At least Town level, likely higher (Blocked a swing from Komamura's Bankai with no damage)
Range: Extended human melee range when fighting with his sword, several dozen meters with projectiles
Standard Equipment: His Zanpakutō, Suzumushi, Reiatsu Concealing Cloak
Intelligence: Skilled and experienced combatant, quite insightful and perspective with decent tactical ability.
Weaknesses: He is blind though his other senses, including his ability to sense Reiatsu, are very acute. Gains eyesight in his Resurrección form, but lost usage of his Zanpakutō.
Master Swordsman: Though he has a personal philosophy that questions the need for violence, Tōsen is highly proficient in the use of his Zanpakutō, which is further impressive with his blind status. During his days as the 5th seated officer of the 9th Division, he was able to fight at a captain's level, going toe-to-toe with Shinji Hirako (although Shinji was focused on halting his Hollowfication process at the time). Tōsen's swordsmanship mastery is even further emphasized by him holding his own against Kenpachi Zaraki, one of Soul Society's foremost experts in swordsmanship, even if it was only for a short time. He can even hold his own and fight both Sajin Komamura and his former lieutenant Shūhei Hisagi simultaneously.
Shunpo Expert: Tōsen was fast enough to sneak up behind Grimmjow (when he attacked Karakura Town) before he realized it. Tōsen was able to cut off Grimmjow's arm before he felt any pain, and obliterate the arm with a mid-level Kidō before it hit the ground, a testament to his speed. He was also fast enough to protect Aizen from Shinji's attack.
Hakuda Combatant: While relying mostly on his sword skills, Tōsen is also competent in hand-to-hand combat, using swift and powerful kicks to easily overpower and throw around other skilled fighters like Sajin Komamura, despite the massive difference in size.
Enhanced Durability: Tōsen has a great level of resilience, as he was delivered a hard kick by Kenpachi Zaraki towards a wall, only to emerged unharmed after. Even after having being slashed deep twice and at close-ranged from Zaraki, Tōsen was still able to stand a still fight on.
Great Spiritual Power: As the former captain of the 9th Division of the Gotei 13, Tōsen boasts a great amount of spiritual energy. His skill in the use of his spiritual power is evident, as he uses his spiritual sense to "see".
Descorrer (解空(デスコレール), Desukorēru; Japanese for "Loosed Void", Spanish for "Drawing Back/Opening"): A technique used by Espada-level Arrancar, and sometimes others, to open a Garganta between the Human World and Hueco Mundo. Tōsen used this to return to Hueco Mundo from Karakura Town.
Reiatsu Concealing Cloak: A cloak created by Urahara which hides the wearer's spiritual pressure. By incorporating Kidō into the cloak, Aizen states it allows the wearer to blend in with the air around them, almost completely concealing them from sight. Tōsen used this cloak to accompany Aizen when he struck Isshin Shiba down.
Suzumushi (清虫, Cricket; Viz "Bell Bug"): In its sealed state, Suzumushi looks like a regular katana with an orange hilt. The tsuba has a teardrop shape, with the base of the drop arcing over the top of the blade, and the point of the drop pointing below the cutting edge. A row of several tiny teardrop-shaped holes decorates the bottom of the curve, and a small ring, approximately 2" in diameter, dangles off the tip of the tear-drop. The ring itself plays a vital role in the activation of Tōsen's Bankai.
- Shikai: Unlike most Zanpakutō, Suzumushi has two Shikai commands, each producing a unique automatic effect.
- Suzumushi Nishiki: Benihikō (清虫二式紅飛蝗, Cricket 2nd Movement: Crimson Flying Locusts; Viz "Bell Bug Type Two: Flying Locust"): A technique which changes Suzumushi into its Benihikō form. Suzumushi vibrates momentarily and, after Tōsen moves the blade around him in a semi-circle, a trail appears, following the sword's path. The trail turns into hundreds of blades, which rain down on his opponents.
Bankai: Suzumushi Tsuishiki: Enma Kōrogi (清虫終式閻魔蟋蟀, Cricket Final Form: Devil Cricket; Viz: Bell Bug Closing Ceremony: Final Cricket): Suzumushi maintains its form of a regular katana, though without the small ring. Tōsen holds up his sword in his right hand, and places his left palm against the ring on his cross guard. The ring begins to spin as it releases spiritual energy. As it spins faster, the circle grows bigger and bigger until it's large enough to surround his body. The ring then splits into ten other glowing rings of similar size that encircle Tōsen. With a slash of his sword, the circles go flying outwards and form a circular perimeter over a large area. Once in position, the ten rings begin to generate a black void, which grows in size until it forms a large black dome, which is centered around Tōsen's body and anchored to the ground by the ten rings.
Bankai Special Ability: The dome creates a vacuum that nullifies the senses of spiritual energy, sight, sound, and scent, what Tōsen calls Mumyō (無明, lit. "No Light", popularly known as "Avidya" and defined as "Ignorance (of Buddhist teachings)"). The only sense the victim retains is that of touch. Unlike with some Zanpakutō, Suzumushi does not convert itself into the massive dome that it creates during Bankai. Instead, the dome serves as a separate extension of Suzumushi itself, allowing Tōsen to wield its sealed form as a weapon while inside the dome, but preventing him from using its abilities. The technique's main shortcoming is that anyone, not just Tōsen himself, touching Suzumushi's hilt is immune to the dome's effects, so anyone able to grab Suzumushi recovers their senses. The dome only exists as long as Tōsen wills it to, or if he happens to become seriously injured; in either circumstance, the dome shreds apart and dissipates.
Hollow Mask: Tōsen's Hollow mask covers most of his head, neck, and throat, with the exception of a small hole in the back for his hair. It has a smooth white surface, with the only feature being a bilateral line down the middle, separating the mask into two portions. Tōsen's outfit also changes: he loses the orange strap on his shoulder, and gains a chest plate and a pair of small slim shoulder guards with designs similar to his mask. It is able to open up at the mouth area. When it does, vertical lines appear on the top and bottom, giving it the look of teeth.
- Power Augmentation: While wearing the mask, Tōsen's Hollow powers supplement his Shinigami powers, giving him a vast increase in both strength and speed.
- Enhanced Strength: While wearing his Hollow mask, Tōsen gains greater strength. He effortlessly blocks Tenken and kicks Komamura, sending him crashing into the buildings below.
- Enhanced Speed: While wearing his Hollow mask, Tōsen gains enhanced speed, which he uses to overwhelm Hisagi and Komamura.
- High-Speed Regeneration: While wearing his Hollow mask, Tōsen is able to heal his mangled arm, to the point where it does not show any signs that it was injured.
Resurrección: Suzumushi Hyakushiki: Grillar Grillo (鈴虫百式狂枷蟋蟀 (グリジャル・グリージョ), Gurijaru Gurījo; Spanish for "Chirping Cricket,"Japanese for "Cricket Hundredth Ceremony: Lunatic Shackles Cricket") Tōsen begins the release by holding his Zanpakutō upside down. The release envelops him in darkness, transforming him into a bestial Hollow-like creature. In this form, he becomes hunched over, and his entire body is covered with black fur, with a large Hollow hole in his torso. He also possesses four insect-like arms with clawed hands. On the hunch on his back are two long, spiraling horns, each adorned near the points with two rings with chains hanging from them. His head resembles a cricket, with a bilateral line running down the center, large bulbous eyes (which give him sight) and large rings hanging from the side protrusions. At the bottom of the head is a small opening where his mouth is, which has jagged teeth. He has a long, bushy tail, and a double pair of insect wings. While in this form, he also gains the ability to see, which he arrogantly boasted about. In this form, his Reiatsu is black, with a purple outline.
Resurrección Special Ability: In this form, Tōsen has enhanced versions of his sound-based abilities.
- Immense Strength: Tōsen's Resurrección grants him increased strength, as he grabbed hold of Sajin Komamura's Bankai when it attacked him, and crushed a portion of its blade with one hand.
- High-Speed Regeneration: Tōsen was also able to regenerate his wounds in his Resurrección form.
- Los Nueve Aspectos (九相輪殺 (ロス・ヌウェベ・アスペクトス), Rosu Nuwebe Asupekutosu; Spanish for "The Nine Aspects", Japanese for "Nine Pagoda Finals Kill"): Tōsen draws lime-green circles in the air with his claws, creating a massive burst of sound-based concussive force that reverberates out with crushing power. This technique is capable of dealing a fatal blow to Sajin Komamura's Bankai with relative ease.
- La Mirada (ラ・ミラーダ, Ra Mirāda; Spanish for "The Gaze"): Tōsen gains the ability to charge a lime-green Cero in front of both of his eyes. The two Ceros are generated separately, but they fuse together before firing.
Kidō Expert: Tōsen is capable of using high level Kidō spells without incantation.
- Sentan Hakuja (千反白蛇, Thousand-Coil White Snake): A long, white piece of cloth is spun around to incorporate targets within its coils. As the cloth tightens, with a white flash, it teleports the targets to another location.
- Hadō #54: Haien (廃炎, Abolishing Flames): A flame attack which eradicates the very existence of its target. The practitioner fires an oblong blast of purple energy from their hand which completely incinerates a target upon contact.
- Bakudō #77: Tenteikūra (天挺空羅, Heavenly Rickshaws in Silken Air; Viz "Heavenly Charged Sky Net"): Transmits one's voice to a large number of people simultaneously. The spell transmits messages mentally to anyone within an area of the caster's choosing. The messages can be spoken either by the caster or by another within the vicinity of the caster.
Key: Shinigami | Hollow Mask | Resurrección