|“||Besides, the idea of superpowers hurting others, really, there’s not much ambition to it. Before a collapsed bridge is repaired, I can use my powers to help others to cross the river. If there are people trapped in the underground mall, I can help them escape to the surface. If the use is correct, what’s so bad about using esper powers? To me, those dreamy words of yours are way beyond lame. Scared of your power? You don’t want to hurt others so you don’t want the power? It’s nice when you say it, but who was the one who hurt me to such an extent? If you want to know whether your actions are correct, just look at my wounds! This is the answer!||„|
|~ Shirai Kuroko to Musujime Awaki|
Shirai Kuroko is a resident of Academy City, a student of the prestigious Tokiwadai Middle School and the roommate of the #3 Level 5 Misaka Mikoto. Despite her obssession and devotion towards Mikoto, Kuroko is actually a member of Judgement, Academy City's student-based disciplinary committee that helps Anti-Skill keep peace in the city. She takes her job very seriously and honestly desires to help and save people with her esper power. Kuroko is a Level 4 teleporter who combines her teleportation ability and her martial arts skills to deal with criminals.
Kuroko is a minor character in the main novels. She takes a more important supporting role in the Toaru Kagaku no Railgun manga and LNs, though she has been the protagonist of one of the Index novels, where she faces fellow Level 4 teleporter Musujime Awaki.
Powers and Stats
Name: Shirai Kuroko
Origin: To Aru Majutsu No Index
Classification: Human, Level 4 Esper, Student, member of Judgement
Speed: Athletic Human speed, instant with Teleport
Lifting Strength: Athletic Human
Striking Strength: Athlete Class
Durability: Athlete level
Stamina: Above average, she has managed to continue fighting despite receiving injuries in a few occasions
Range: 81.5 meters with Teleport
Standard Equipment: Over a dozen steel darts, small compact smartphone (it can be worn as an earpiece for communication during missions), Judgement tools
Intelligence: High, as a Level 4 esper her intelligence is on the level of a genius or a supercomputer, teleportation powers are much more calculation-intensive than other powers
Weaknesses: Normal human weaknesses, teleporters are more vulnerable than other espers when taken by surprise or if they have their power calculations disrupted by things like pain or fear
- Teleport (空間移動 Kūkan Idō (Tereporto), lit. "Spatial Movement"): Kuroko is a Level 4 Teleport esper. Her ability allows her to teleport herself and/or anything she's touching a certain distance from her position. Like all teleporters, the theory behind her teleportation is to get away from the 3 dimensions, find their position in the 11th dimension, and then calculate the vectors to teleport. If an object is teleported inside another it will displace any matter upon its arrival, allowing teleporters to do things like cut the support pillars of a building by teleporting glass panels inside them. She can teleport up to a maximum of 130.7 kilograms to a distance of 81.5 meters from herself. Kuroko's combat style is based on teleporting the steel darts she carries around inside the opponent's body or use them to nail the opponent to the ground and immobilize them. She's also adept at teleporting herself around the enemy to attack from their blind spots.
- Martial Arts: Kuroko is an skilled martial artist, which she combines with her esper power to subdue larger and stronger opponents with ease. Her style emphasizes throws and take-downs, though she also seems fond of teleporting drop kicks.
- Judgement Tools: Besides her steel darts, Kuroko carries several tools for her Judgement work.
- First Aid Tools
- Detection Tool: Judgement members are equipped with a simple detection tool. The tool is connected to the lower connector on their phone to act as a sensor and put together data on the composition of the air and whether there are harmful electromagnetic waves nearby.
- Detective Tools: Simple devices to check for fingerprints and similar things.
- Flare Gun: A flare gun used by Academy City's security forces to indicate nearby civilians that there's going to be a fight in the area, acting as an evacuation order.
- Jamming Devices: Kuroko carries several small ball-shaped handheld devices made to interfere with listening devices for security purposes. She has used them to deafen the echolocation of Mitori's Liquid Shadow puppet.