Powers and Stats
Name: Saito Hajime
Origin: Rurouni Kenshin
Classification: Human Swordsman, Police Officer, 3rd Captain of the Shinsengumi
Lifting Strength: Superhuman
Striking Strength: Building Class
Durability: Building level
Range: Standard melee range
Standard Equipment: Katana
Intelligence: Saito is extremely analytical in battle, much like Hiko Seijuro, and can exploit his opponent's weaknesses quite easily, such as Kenshin's reliance on his quick judgment, to which he replies by kicking him to the back rather than with the sword despite having taken his sword up
Saitō mastered several techniques of the "Shinsengumi-Kenjutsu." The "Hirazuki" (left-handed stab) technique that Saitō's Gatotsu resembles is based on the real fighting style of the Shinsengumi. Although the Gatotsu is the only technique that Saitō performs, he has been able to perform the same technique in different stances. Saitō's sword techniques are considered quite deadly, as the Gatotsu has only a precious few blind spots to be exploited. Despite the apparent inflexibility of using one attack repeatedly, it has many useful applications.
- The First Stance (Ishiki): Is the standard, shoulder-level ground attack. He prepares by dropping into a partial crouch, both knees bent, left arm drawn back and right extended forward; he grasps the kashira (endcap of the tsuka, or hilt) of his sword with his left hand and rests the tips of the fingers of his right hand (usually the thumb) on the blade near its tip.
- The Second Stance (Nishiki): Is a downward-striking attack. The direction of the Nishiki thrust is narrower, as well.
- The Third Stance (Sanshiki): Is an upward-striking attack. Prepared identically to the Ishiki, he uses it to intercept an opponent assaulting him from above, directing his blade into the air instead of immediately forward.
- Gatotsu Zero Stance (Zeroshiki): Zeroshiki is an attack performed at point-blank range using all his upper body strength. This stance, unlike the first three, requires no prior preparation or footwork.
- Sword-less Gatotsu: The motion of the Gatotsu can also be used even with his bare hands. His fighting style most resembles Boxing as he possesses amazing footwork, defense, and tremendous speed and power thus enabling him to execute his style even without a sword.
Note: Not to be confused with the similarly - named character from Zero no Tsukaima.