|“||Oh, master, are you worried about something? If it's about the opposite sex, then leave it to me. I don't care if it's the same sex either. Hahahaa!||„|
|~ Fergus on his Master's love life|
Saber (セイバー, Seibā) is a Saber-class Servant able to be summoned by the Protagonist in the Grand Orders of Fate/Grand Order.
Saber's True Name is Fergus mac Róich (フェルグス・マック・ロイ, Ferugusu makku Roi), a brave warrior from the Celtic mythology's Ulster Cycle. A man who established a corner of the Knights of the Red Branch. A member of the Knights of the Red Branch, a magic sword-user that is also known as the friend and foster father of the hero Cú Chulainn. He took Cú Chulainn from his mother Deichtine to serve as a soldier for Ulster. His wife is a goddess of the forest, a Divine Spirit.
He was the king of Ulster until being tricked out of his throne by Conchobar mac Nessa. Later after Cú Chulainn returned from the land of shadows, Conchobar had Fergus's sons killed "out of lust for young women", causing Fergus to leave the knight order and defected to Ulster's enemy Connacht. At the outbreak of the greatest war in Ulster legends, he stayed beside his lover Medb, queen of Connacht, and displayed his valour.
Spurring on queen Medb of Connacht out of hatred for Conchobar, they went to war with Ulster, where he managed to corner Conchobar during the decisive battle. He was kept from revealing his true prowess due the fact Cu Chulainn was in Ulster, but still reached the point where he was one step away from slaying King Conchobar. Fergus was prevented from killing Conchobar, and was said to have redirected his rage over it upon three hills, using Caladbolg to blast the tops cleanly off them.
Due to the Geis exchanged with Cú Chulainn at this occasion, he will achieve victory almost unconditionally in case there is a rematch with him. At the time of the second invasion of Ulster, Queen Medb was scheming her revenge against Cú Chulainn and she concluded that "Fergus existence will become a bother" and did not invite him to the battlefield. Afterwards, he was assassinated by a jealousy-driven King Ailill, Medb's husband. Even now, Fergus' reputation as a magnificent brave warrior has been left for posterity.
Powers and Stats
Tier: 7-A, higher with Caladbolg
Name: Saber, Fergus mac Róich
Origin: Fate/Grand Order
Age: Unknown, likely summoned in his 30s or 40s
Classification: Saber-class Servant, Heroic Spirit
Powers and Abiltiies: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Master Swordsman, Precognition, Soul Manipulation (all Servants can consume souls to replenish their mana), Resistance to Magic and Magical Hax such as Petrification, Spatial Manipulation, and Mind Manipulation, Energy Blasts with Caladbolg
Attack Potency: Mountain level (Has an A-Rank Strength stat, putting him on par with Saber and Berserker at their peak), higher with Caladbolg (Being an A-Rank Anti-Army Noble Phantasm, it should be superior to Gáe Bolg's Anti-Army function, casually sliced off the tops of three hills during a misfire made out of anger, as a prototype of Excalibur Galatine, Caladbolg should be superior to it)
Lifting Strength: At least Superhuman
Striking Strength: Mountain Class, higher with Caladbolg
Stamina: Virtually tireless for as long as he has sufficient mana
Range: Several meters with melee attacks, At least a dozen kilometers with Caladbolg
Standard Equipment: His sword and Noble Phantasm, Caladbolg
Intelligence: Fergus is a loud and proud warrior who likes nothing more than the thrill of the fight and the joys of home. He is one of the mightiest warriors of Celtic mythology and was one of Cú Chulainn's mentors. Despite his reckless disposition and tendency to fight like a berserker, he is not to be trifled with politically, quickly starting a war with his former country and nearly winning it in an instant after his rightful kingship was stolen by Conchobar's trickery and has enough experience to qualify for the Eye of the Mind (True) skill, showcasing his incredible prowess and analytical ability when necessary. However, in his blind quest for revenge against Ulster, he failed to realize that his lover Medb had turned on him, leading to his assassination at her husband's hands.
Weaknesses: Fergus is rather reckless (being willing to accept a bet with Scathach to take her Gae Bolg Alternative dead-on in order to bed her) and quick to anger upon slights to his honor and kingship
|“||Spiral, ready! Let me show you the true rainbow… Caladbolg!||„|
|~ Saber using his Noble Phantasm|
- Caladbolg: The Rainbow Sword: (虹霓剣カラドボルグ, Karadoborugu: Kōgei-ken) is the magic sword of Fergus mac Róich. Also given the appellations of Spiral Rainbow Sword (螺旋虹霓剣) and Spiral Sword (螺旋剣), it is a high-power and wide-range attack allows it to devastate the landscape. It is the natural enemy of Cú Chulainn due to him having a geas that makes it his duty to be defeated once by the sword so long as it is wielded by someone who is Ultser-born. It is the prototype of many magic and holy sword of later ages, including Excalibur Galatine, and thought to be the same sword as Caledfwlch from Welsh mythology, possibly making it the prototype of Excalibur as well.
It is noted in legends that it activates as a sword of a light, unleashing a "sword-shimmer" that "stretches from the magic sword like a rainbow", allowing it to cleanly slice off the top of hills at full power. He used it as such when taking out his rage at being unable to take his revenge, showing its fearsome power by slicing through the tops of three hills. Despite such usage, its true aspects when wielded as a Noble Phantasm are more pronounced towards landscape destruction. Described as a "no-questions-asked great attack that breaks the earth", he plunges it into the earth and causes a great eruption around the enemy.
- Magic Resistance (対魔力, Tai-Maryoku, localized as "Anti-Magic"): A skill that grants protection against magical effects. Rather than reducing the effects of magecraft, Magic Resistance nullifies them completely. Fergus' B-Rank Magic Resistance cancels spells with a chant below three verses. Even if targeted by High-Thaumaturgy and Greater Rituals, it is difficult for him to be affected.
- Riding (騎乗, Kijō, localized as "Dragoon"): The class skill of Riders and Sabers, it is the ability to ride mounts. Fergus can handle most vehicles with above average skill. However, he cannot ride the likes of Phantasm Races such as Monstrous Beasts.
- Bravery (勇猛, Yūmō, localized as "Fortitude"): is the ability to negate mental interference such as pressure, confusion and fascination. Fergus possesses an A Rank in this skill, freeing him from any confusion, doubt, or self-loathing.
- Eye of the Mind (True) (心眼 (真), Shingan (Shin)): Is a Skill that quantifies one's heightened capacity for observation that has been refined through experience. Fergus possesses an A-Rank in this skill, outstripping even Archer in his ability to formulate strategies in the midst of combat and securing victory in the worst of odds.
- Nature of a Rebellious Spirit (反骨の相, Hankotsu no Sō, localized as "Restless Soul"): is the temperament to never remain at one location and never embrace a lord. Due to having his own kingship stolen from him and never serving under another lord, Fergus is resistant to the effects of Charisma and Mind Manipulation based on adoration.