The Protagonist of Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, named Tadano Hitonari (タダノヒトナリ) in the official Drama CD (A pun on Tada no hito nari, meaning "Just an ordinary person" in Japanese) is a member of the U.N. expedition team sent to the Schwarzwelt. Unlike most protagonists, he is a normal human with no particular extraordinary traits. Initially and by default, he is of Neutral alignment but he can switch to the forces of Law or Chaos and back according to the player's actions.
Like most main characters of the Shin Megami Tensei series, he is a silent protagonist where the player decides his personality and ideals based on the choices and actions taken. That being said, his dialogue options are much more mature than other silent protagonists; he often speaks with a professional tone accompanied by reserve and manner, befitting of his age and temperament. The protagonist is however flexible, especially accentuated when speaking with demons.
His nationality changes according to the version of the game. In the USA release of Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, the Protagonist is an American soldier, while in the original JPN release, he is Japanese.
Powers and Stats
Tier: 8-C | Low 2-C | At least 2-A
Name: Protagonist, Tadano Hitonari
Origin: Shin Megami Tensei
Age: Around 20s - 30s
Powers and Abilities: Peak Human Physical Capabilities, Expert Combat Abilities, Expert Melee Weapons & Firearms Wielder by himself. Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Summoning, Healing, Regeneration, Elemental Attacks (Fire, Ice, Lightning, Earth and Force / Wind), Stat Buffing/Debuffing, Poison Attacks, Can destroy souls, can hurt intangible beings, Almighty Attacks that bypass all defenses with Demonica
Attack Potency: Building level (Superior to fodder demons such as Pixie and Jack Frost) | Universe level+ (Defeated Morax, who created Sector Anita, which is an entirely separate space-time) | At least Multiverse level+ (Defeated Mem Aleph. Stated by Thoth to be "Equal to the Lord of Heaven")
Lifting Strength: Unknown
Striking Strength: Building Class | Universal+ | At least Multiversal+
Durability: Building level | Universe level+ | At least Multiverse level+
Stamina: Unknown, though Superhuman
Range: Hundreds of Meters with Firearms
Standard Equipment: The Demonica, the Demon Summoning Program, Various Weapons and Firearms
Intelligence: High. An incredibly skilled soldier, with advanced military training and knowledge
Weaknesses: He is only a peak human, and all of his powers come from his Demonica
- Demonica: The Demonica, standing for DEMOuntable Next Integrated Capability Armor, is a special, highly advanced Battle-Armor worn by members of the U.N. Schwarzwelt Investigational Team. When wearing it, the Protagonist can not only survive under conditions that no human could endure, but his physical capabilities are all immensely enhanced. Furthermore, the Demonica will develop alongside it's user, growing in power with each and every battle fought. It is also equipped with a variety of advanced programs and Apps, such as:
- AI System: The Demonica is equipped with a highly-advanced artificial intelligence. It is capable of performing a real-time 3D Scan of it's surroundings, fully mapping it and identifying potential threats, passages and objects of interest. It also programs' the Demonica's power-enhancement in a way that matches the user's preferred style (Either focusing on brute strength, speed / reflexes, greater durability, etc). Finally, as the user faces against demons, the AI System can analyse them, and learn of their strengths and weaknesses.
- Demon Summoning Program: The Protagonist's Demonica is equipped with a Demon Summoning Program, allowing him to translate demonic language and communicate with demons, digitally store demons, and virtually simulate a complex summoning ritual through a series of codes and data, so that he can call forth demons to aid him in battle.
- Apps: The Apps are the Demonica's main software programs, responsible for the suit's visor and navigational capabilities. They can be researched or upgraded with Rare Forma, and are automatically awarded to the Protagonist after taking the Rare Forma piece to the Red Sprite's laboratories. They are all used at the same time and are fully stackable with each other. They are:
- Forma Search: Allows the Demonica to search and identify various types of Forma across the environment, to later be used as resources.
- Unlock: Opens all manner of locked doors, allowing for further navigation.
- Gate Search: Identifies and reveals doors and passages that were previously invisislbe and intangible to the Protagonist.
- Enemy Search: Enables the Demonica to search and identify nearby enemies.
- Phase Shifter: Allows the Demonica to phase through specific locations.
- Visualizer: Gives the Protagonist full visibility under absolute darkness.
- SubApps: The SubApps are secondary programs intended to improve the performance of the Demonica, its user, his demons, and his interactions with the Schwartzwelt and other demons. They can be researched with Rare Forma, but unlike Main Apps the Demonica can only use a limited amount of SubApps at a given time; every SubApp has a certain size, and the suit has a maximum capability of ten spaces. Here is a full list of the SubApps and their various functions .
Key: Beginning of Game | Early Game | End Game