Paula Polestar is one of the main protagonists of the game Earthbound. She is the first to join Ness, and is the only female supporting protagonist in Mother 2. She uses frying pans as her main weapon, and is also very adept in various PSI skills. She is a resident of Twoson in the country of Eagleland, and the daughter of the owners of the local Polestar Preschool, until she gets kidnapped to be used as a human sacrifice for a blue cult in Peaceful Rest Valley. After she is rescued by Ness, she permanently joins him on his quest to defeat Giygas.
Paula's Pray command is ultimately a key part of the game, as she must use it nine times to defeat Giygas in the final battle.
Powers and Stats
Name: Paula Polestar
Origin: Earthbound/Mother 2
Classification: Human Girl, Psychic, Chosen One
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, PSI (Telepathy through time & space, Telekinesis, Prophecies, Elemental Manipulation, Energy Absorption, Forcefield Generation [for psychic attacks only], Strength Augmentation, Durability Deduction, Can harm intangible and Non-Corporeal beings (Capable of hitting ghosts and the Starmen), Can double her Guts with Sudden Guts Pill, Limited Immortality (Type 6, Her spirit will reunite with her original body even after being destroyed, but only once.)
Attack Potency: Town level (Can trade blows with characters/enemies that can survive the Nuclear Reactor Robot's explosions. Defeated Giygas with her Prayers. However, this is technically outside help)
Lifting Strength: Unknown
Striking Strength: Town Class
Durability: Town level (Towards the end of the game she could survived the Nuclear Reactor Robots' explosions, which were described in the official handbook as "nukes", which should be around 20 Kilotons)
Standard Equipment: Frying pans, Ribbons, Coins, Charms, Pendants, Bracelets, Teddy bear, Pills.
Intelligence: She has knowledge of things yet to come, other than that, presumably that of an ordinary girl her age
- Pray: Causes one of various random effects. These are:
- HP recovery of varying levels to allies.
- PP (Psychic energy) recovery to allies.
- "Crying" (decrease in accuracy) to allies.
- Decrease in defense to all fighters.
- Sleepiness to some fighters.
- "Strangeness" (attack targets become random) to some fighters.
- Damage to one enemy.
- Revival of all fighters who are unconscious or dead.
It can be vastly powered up if others pray alongside her to the point where it can destabilize the defenses of Giygas and wound him with the 8 Melodies.
- Defense Down: Lowers defense of enemies. Can be layered by being cast multiple times.
- Offense Up: Raises the attack of allies. Can be layered by casting multiple times.
- PK Fire: Fire bursts from the fingers and burns a row of enemies. Can decreases their psychic shield.
- PK Freeze: Causes a very cold wind to swirl around an enemy that does ice damage and can freeze them. Can decrease their psychic shield.
- PK Thunder: Launches multiple thunderbolts that hit random enemies. Eliminates psychic shields.
- PSI Magnet: Absorbs the enemy's PP (Psychic energy).
- PSI Shield: Protects or reflects psychic attacks. Lasts for a few hits but can be layered.