|“||I shall show you... the GREATEST... nightmare!||„|
Nightmare is the main antagonist of the Soul series. He made his first appearance in Soul Edge, with his proper debut being in Soulcalibur. He is the host, wielder and living incarnation of the cursed sword, Soul Edge, the objective of most other characters in the story.
Powers and Stats
Tier: 7-A | 6-C | At least 6-C | Unknown
Age: Unknown (Lasted from the Ancient Times)
Classification: Living Incarnation of Soul Edge, Azure Knight
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Soul Manipulation, Fire Manipulation, Mind Manipulation, Weapon Mastery, Electricity Manipulation, Creation (Created a mimic of Soul Edge), Dark Magic, Regeneration (Low), Immortality (Types 1 and 6), Teleportation, Dimensional BFR, Duplication, Light Manipulation, Possession, Reality Warping, Durability Negation (Can cut through dimensions), Necromancy | All abilities enhanced | All abilities greatly enhanced, Energy Projection, Flight | Soul Manipulation, Darkness Manipulation, Summoning (Can summon a dark horse).
Attack Potency: Mountain level (Should be equal to Incomplete Inferno who could do this. Stronger than the average Soulcalibur character. It usually takes two or more characters to defeat him canonically) | Island level (When at full power, could create a storm of this caliber. With Complete Soul Edge. Managed to keep up with Algol for a little bit and can indeed harm him. Soul Edge is also the one who created Astral Chaos in which is other side of the human world) | At least Island level (Is the most powerful character in the series. Obliterated Zasalamel with a single attack, even Algol feared his presence and power), can also ignore conventional durability. | Unknown
Speed: Superhuman with Supersonic+ reactions and combat speed via power-scaling (Ivy, a much weaker character, kicked away a point blank bullet shot from Cervantes' gun, Taki also outran an explosion in Soul Blade) | Superhuman with Supersonic+ reactions and combat speed | Subsonic (Can move faster than the eye can see) with at least Supersonic+ reactions and combat speed | Unknown
Lifting Strength: Class 1 | Class M | At least Class M | Unknown
Striking Strength: Mountain Class | Island Class | At least Island Class | Unknown
Stamina: Very high, can fight for a long time against Siegfried, can live without water or food.
Range: Extended melee range with his sword, tens of kilometers with bursts of magic and fire.
Standard Equipment: Soul Edge, armor.
Intelligence: Above Average | Gifted | Mindless, appears to operate purely on an instinctual level.
Weaknesses: Must keep devouring souls in order to stay alive as he is an empty suit of armor with no actual wielder for the sword, he is actually the sword rather than the armor that wields it, meaning that breaking the sword will kill him.
Notable Attacks and Techniques:
- Soul Wave: Unleashes a burst of red energy the absorbs the souls of all those in range by stabbing the ground with Soul Edge. Another method shown is that Nightmare bows down, crossing his hands and storing energy, as we can see electric bolts gather around him. A stage starts to shake and by straightening up and shouting "Hate!" Nightmare releases a crimson energy sphere now accompanied with an additional ring of light and explosion sound.
- Evil Seed: Nightmare exclaims "Watch this!" and punches the opponent with his claw, knocking his foe backwards. He uppercuts him/her into the air, then slams his sword point first into the ground and a ball of energy erupts around his opponent as they scream. This move drains their soul into Soul Edge.
- Dark Reconquista: Nightmare holds his sword up, calls for it, saying "Soul Edge", and does one heavy vertical slash to knock his opponent to the ground while saying "Burn!".
- Grim Lord: This consists of four hits: the first one is a rather strong middle kick attack, which works like a launcher, so that the next attack can catch an enemy in mid-air. Then, Nightmare grabs his opponent with his twisted arm and then unleashes the most damaging blow with a bursting sound, by emitting dark red energy which surrounds him, forming a sphere.
- Bloody Invasion: At the beginning he raises his hand and then hits it heavily against the ground saying "Run if you can" and creating a tremor.
- Death Row: This is a part of a Brave Edge move called Death Lord's Annihilation. There are two hits in this Weapon Art. The first one is a high punch which knocks an enemy down and then goes a middle long-range stabbing attack with Nightmare whirling his sword in colored flames and saying "Ravage!".
Key: Incomplete Nightmare | Complete Nightmare | Night Terror | Soul Calibur Vl