|“||I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.||„|
Mewtwo is a Psychic Type Legendary Pokémon. The story of Mewtwo has quite a few versions, but they all start off the same. Before Mewtwo, there was Mew, the ancestor of all Pokemon. On a day in July, the criminal organization found Mew, and managed to acquire one of its eyelashes. Team Rocket hired scientists, among them the Gym Leader Blaine and the Lavender Town elder Mr. Fuji, to use said eyelash to clone Mew and create the most powerful Pokemon alive. They succeeded, but due to events that happened during his creation, whether it being the death of AmberTwo, the death of Mr. Fuji, or horrifying genetic experiments and the failure to give it a compassionate heart, Mewtwo became vengeful and savage. Mewtwo was unable to be controlled, and therefore went on a rampage, destroying the lab it was created in and killing a majority of the scientists in it. Its escape led it to Cerulean Cave.
Powers and Stats
Tier: At least High 6-A | At least High 6-A, likely higher | Low 5-B | 5-B | High 4-C
Gender: Genderless, although usually referred to as male
Age: Around 20 years old
Classification: Legendary Pokémon, Genetic Pokémon, Pokémon
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Telekinesis (Can move multiple things at once, and has been shown deftly moving telekinetically controlled objects through sharp twists turns while chasing Ash), Immortality (Type 1; Is a clone of Mew, who has an immortal life force), Telepathy, Genius Intelligence, Memory Manipulation, Storm Creation (Of the thunder and snow variety), Illusion Creation, Mind Manipulation (In the first movie, Mewtwo took control of Nurse Joy's mind and wiped the memories of everyone involved, even after he already left. Would've mind wiped everyone involved in his special episode if not convinced otherwise. A small bit of his influence gave Butterfrees' Sleep Powder the ability to mind wipe all of Team Rocket. Has been shown to work on robots [actual man made robots. Not just robotic Pokémon] as well), Flight, Forcefield Creation, Invisibility, Teleportation (Of himself, others, and things as big as a lake. Doesn't need to be around to teleport others, as evidenced in Puzzle League), Explosion Manipulation, Power Absorption, Drain, Swap, and Transfer, Energy Manipulation, Energy Projection, Stealth Mastery (Is shown to operate stealthily in a city at night in a brown cape. Defeated experienced Mystery Dungeon explorers while remaining unseen), Future Sight bypasses Shields and Precognition, Confusion, Sleep, and Paralysis Inducement, potential Burn and Freeze Inducement, and can cause the Wait pseudo-status condition, Time Travel, Afterimage Creation, Reality Warping, Summoning, Electricity Manipulation, Fire Manipulation, Soul Manipulation (Can send souls to other dimensions), Portal Creation, Void Manipulation (Sucked Rand and Edward into a void, and sent only Rand back), Health Swap, BFR, Aura, Can erect a barrier that has a 50% chance of reversing the next thing done to Mewtwo, even if it kills him, and deals set damage back, Regeneration (Low-Mid; Could regenerate from Deoxys-induced chest wounds that looked fatal, and was stated to have restarted its vitals while incubating as a "child" in the radio drama), Healing, Metal Manipulation, Air Manipulation (In the form of tornadoes), Ice, Snow, and Mist Manipulation, Proficiency in fighting with spoons and psychic blades, Elemental Manipulation, Fear Manipulation (His Unnerve Ability scares the opponent to the point of crying for help and rendering them unable to eat. Has access to the Intimidator IQ skill, making his attackers get the Cringe status and not executing their move. His cold glowing eyes are stated in the Pokédex to induce fear), Empathic Manipulation (Via scaling to Mew, who was stated to have the capacity to make people fall in love), Precognition, Cloning (Of others, as he cloned Ash's Pokémon seemingly without the use of machinery in Puzzle League), Power Mimicry, Danmaku (Filled the screen up with beam attacks in Guardian Signs), Sleep Manipulation, Statistics Amplification, Petrification (His beams and even physical attacks have petrified Ash and the Pokédex Holders [minus Gold] respectively, and it was unintentional at that), and resistance to it (Didn't petrify in his collision with Darkrai or when hit by Mew's attacks), Light and Darkness Manipulation, Power Nullification (Can shut down a move before it's used, can prevent the most recent move used from being used for some time, etc.), Resistance to Fighting- and Psychic- Type moves, Resistance Negation (Miracle Eye negates immunity to Psychic moves. Some versions of Mewtwo's Swift bypasses resistances, skills, and/or abilities, passive or otherwise. His special Poké Balls bypass the fact that Trainer Pokémon can only be caught by one Poké Ball), Matter Manipulation (Reduced Poké Balls to light to free his fellow clones), Attack Reflection, Earth Manipulation (Most likely responsible for the collapse of Cerulean Cave, and created the Mystery Rock in the Illusio Kingdom in Pokémon Conquest), Can guarantee critical hits (Which ignore defense boosts), Homing Attacks, Temporary Invulnerability (Via a variation of Barrier, which creates a forcefield that prevents outside effects, damaging or otherwise, from affecting him), Can create six black circles for the purpose of rotating around him for defense, Can attack non-corporeal entities (Effortlessly dealt with Red's Gengar), Resistance to Sleep Inducement (Is part of the IQ group C, giving him the Nonsleeper skill), Items thrown by Mewtwo have Pseudo-Intangibility (Via the Pierce Hurler skill, which has thrown items go through walls and enemies, but still do damage to every pierced enemy), Missing temporarily boosts Physical and Special Attack, Moves that have a natural advantage have a higher chance to crit, Resistance to Space-Time Manipulation (Could move and use its powers inside a void in Guardian Signs) | Martial Arts, Body Control/Elasticity as Mega Mewtwo X and Psychic powers at their highest as Mega Mewtwo Y as well as an Immunity to being put to sleep. Loses Psychic Type resistance as Mega Mewtwo X but gains resistance to Rock Type moves. | High proficiency in fighting with several new attacks in its Shadow Mewtwo form, Spatial Manipulation, Pocket Reality Manipulation.
Attack Potency: At least Multi-Continent level (Far superior to the three Legendary birds, who took on Lugia. One-shot Articuno after fighting 4 of Red's other Pokemon). Casually created a hurricane in the movie. Capable of impaling Deoxys with a spoon) | At least Multi-Continent level, likely higher (Vastly superior to its base form. Fought Zygarde as Mega Mewtwo X and Y in the manga) | Small Planet level via this calc (About 1.67 zettatons) | Planet level (Based on this calc) | Large Star level (Equal to Mew, who created a dimension with an explicitly bright sun for deceased Pokémon with hatred in their hearts of humans)
Speed: At least Massively Hypersonic+ (Was casually reacting to Pikachu's Thunderbolts in the anime, which have been shown to have comparable speeds to Magnemite's. Far superior to Lugia in speed and kept up with Deoxys) | Sub-Relativistic (Kept up with Zygarde in the manga) | Sub-Relativistic via this calc (Mach 12404) | Sub-Relativistic (Should be comparable to the canon form) | Sub-Relativistic
Lifting Strength: Unknown. SMD Mewtwo has Class Z+ via telekinesis
Striking Strength: At least Multi-Continent Class (Hits with his spoon with this strength) | At least Multi-Continent Class, likely higher | Small Planet Class | Planet Class (Its only physical move Psycho Cut isn't much weaker than its telekinesis) | Unknown
Durability: At least Multi-Continent level (Took hits from Deoxys and got out of his grip) | At least Multi-Continent level, likely higher (Resisted and parried one of Zygarde's strikes as Mega Mewtwo X in the manga) | Small Planet level | Planet level | Large Star level
Stamina: Extremely high (It was able to fight against Mew and other formidable Pokémon for a while, capable of using large-scale, devastating techniques without noticeable exhaustion. Had to have traversed Western Cave, which has 99 floors and is chock-full of powerful Pokémon. Was capable of using its psychic powers after Giovanni drained him of most of his energy. Has infinite PP in Stadium.)
Range: Standard melee range. Extended melee range with the spoon. Thousands of kilometers with projectiles and abilities. Multi Universal with teleportation. Planetary as Shadow Mewtwo and in SMD. Stellar in Magical Journey.
Standard Equipment: Mewtwonite X and Mewtwonite Y (Allows Mewtwo to Mega Evolve), Berserk Gene (Doubles AP at the cost of confusion), Bright Powder (Decreases opponent's accuracy for the duration of the fight), Custap Berry (Gives highest priority if eaten), King's Rock (Can potentially cause the opponent to flinch after any attack)
Intelligence: Extraordinary Genius (Recreated and improved the cloning technology invented by team rocket to clone various Pokémon. Is the mastermind behind the events of Pokémon Puzzle League. Recreated the DNA machine in the Pocket Monsters manga. Genius in combat as well, as he was bred to be the best Pokémon ever, and effortlessly dominated Gary, who had 10 badges and even defeated some of Giovanni's other Pokémon. Could also fight many Genesect, other Legendary Pokémon created by man, though Genesect is augmented unlike Mewtwo, and has the type advantage.)
Weaknesses: Bug, Ghost, and Dark Type moves | Same as base in Y Mega Evolution, X Mega Evolution is weak to Ghost, Flying, and Fairy Type moves | None notable
- Pressure: Base Mewtwo only. Mewtwo exerts a pressure on the opponent which makes them expend twice as much energy tiring them out twice as quickly.
- Unnerve: Base Mewtwo only. Mewtwo's presence unnerves the opponent preventing them from eating berries.
- Life Force: One of a series of Abilities that appeared in Pokemon Conquest. It allows Mewtwo to passively recover health between attacks.
- Insomnia: Mega Mewtwo Y only. Mewtwo cannot be put to sleep.
- Steadfast: Mega Mewtwo X only. Mewtwo speed raises every time it flinches.
- Psystrike: Mewtwo's signature move. Mewtwo fires off a powerful psychic projectile which targets defense instead of special defense.
- Laser Focus: Mewtwo concentrates intensely ensuring that its next move hits.
- Psywave: Mewtwo fires off a wave of psychic energy.
- Confusion: Mewtwo attacks with a telekinetic force, similar to Psychic, which can cause confusion.
- Disable: Mewtwo disables the opponent's last move entirely.
- Safeguard: Mewtwo creates a protective barrier around itself and its allies that protects against status conditions.
- Swift: Mewtwo fires off a series of homing stars at the opponent. Some iterations bypass resistances and the skills and abilities of the opponent.
- Future Sight: Mewtwo prepares a powerful psychic attack which strikes the opponent later on. It ignores moves like Protect and Detect, meaning barriers and precog don't help against it.
- Psych Up: Mewtwo copies the opponent's stat changes.
- Miracle Eye: This move allows Mewtwo to hit Dark Types with Psychic Type moves and it also allows it to ignore evasion.
- Psycho Cut: Mewtwo fires off blades of psychic energy which have a high chance of dealing critical damage.
- Power Swap: Mewtwo uses its psychic powers to swap attack and specia attack with the opponent.
- Guard Swap: Mewtwo uses its psychic powers to swap defense and special defense with the opponent.
- Recover: Mewtwo heals itself of any damage it may have received by up to half of its maximum health.
- Psychic: Mewtwo uses a strong psychokinesis for offensive, defensive, and supplemnentary means such as lifting the target in question or simply blasting them. It may also lower their special defense.
- Barrier: Mewtwo sets up a psychic barrier to boost its defense. This also has been used as a forcefield, and some iterations prevent any outside effect, damaging or otherwise (within reason), from affecting Mewtwo as long as it's active.
- Aura Sphere: Mewtwo draws from its aura and forms it into a light blue sphere which it then fires. It highly difficult to avoid because of its homing properties.
- Mist: Mewtwo creates a mist which protects it and its allies from having their stats lowered by the opponent.
- Amnesia: Mewtwo temporarily empties its mind to boost its special defense.
- Me First: Mewtwo uses the opponent's intended move before they can.
- Hyper Beam: Mewtwo fires off a destructive beam of energy. Unlike most Pokémon it doesn't appear to need to recharge afterwards.
- Counter: Mewtwo reflects any physically based attacks back at the opponent.
- Shadow Ball: Mewtwo fires off a black and purple shadowy ball of energy at the opponent. It may also lower their special defense.
- Protect: Mewtwo creates a forcefield to protect itself.
- Psychic Erase: A move from the TCG where Mewtwo shuts down the next move the opponent would use.
- Juxtapose: A move from the TCG where Mewtwo switches the damage done on it and the opponent, regardless on whether or not either had damage in the first place, or if it would defeat either one of them.
Note: This composite profile covers all the game versions of Mewtwo, its Mega Evolutions in the canon games, Pokémon Adventures manga and Magical Journey manga, Shadow Mewtwo from Pokkén Tournament, and Mega Mewtwo X & Y from Super Mystery Dungeon.
Key: Base | Mega Evolutions | Shadow Mewtwo | Mega Evolutions (Super Mystery Dungeon) | Magical Journey (Spinoff Manga)