Mettaton is a robot with a soul who is the Underground's most popular (and only) celebrity. While initially built by Dr. Alphys as a "human hunting machine" in an effort to impress Asgore, Mettaton decided to go his own way and become a hit television star. Through a bit of research, Frisk can discover that Mettaton was initially a ghost (specifically Napstablook's cousin) who had a fascination with humans. Quickly becoming friends with Alphys due to their shared interest, the two human fanatics came up with an idea that would give them both exactly what they wanted. Alphys would build a body for Mettaton, which would not only allow the ghost to have the physical form they'd always wanted, but also impress Asgore so much, he'd make Alphys the new royal scientist. While everything worked perfectly, the two friends began to drift apart once Mettaton became famous and Alphys became entrenched in her work.
Powers and Stats
Tier: At least Low 7-C, likely higher | At least 7-C, likely much higher | Unknown
Name: Mettaton, Hapstablook the Happy Ghost (Papyrus' headcanon) | Mettaton EX | Mettaton NEO
Classification: Robot with a soul, Former Ghost, Napstablook's cousin, The Underground's #1 Celebrity, Chef, News anchor, Game show host, Singer, Actor, Entertainer, Dancer, Human eradicator, Human enthusiast, etc.
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Flight, Electricity Manipulation, Able to spawn a seemingly endless number of bombs, Able to spawn mini versions of himself, Extendable arms, Disco balls which fire lasers, Technological Manipulation and Hacking, Danmaku, Resistance to Soul Manipulation (Can take hits at his soul like a normal attack)
Attack Potency: At least Small Town level, likely higher (Mettaton has an attack value of 30, which would make him significantly stronger than monsters such as Tsunderplane and Papyrus). Can ignore Durability to an extent via SOUL Magic | At least Town level, likely much higher (Mettaton EX has an attack value of 47, which is almost twice that of powerful monsters such as Tsunderplane and Vulkin and nearly equal to that of Undyne). Can ignore Durability to an extent via SOUL Magic | Unknown (Mettaton NEO, despite never attacking, has an immense attack value of 90, putting him significantly beyond even the likes of Asgore and Toriel. Mettaton NEO was built as a human eradication device, meaning he would likely be able to overpower exceptionally strong humans, the strongest of whom can wield nearly limitless power via their Determination. While Frisk is far stronger than other humans due to their immense Determination, it is not unheard of for stronger humans to reach similar levels, such as the seven humans who formed the barrier. It is also possible that NEO's attack value of 90 would make him closer to Undyne the Undying and level 20 Chara than Asgore and Toriel. Some of the most powerful humans created the barrier, which Asriel had to use his full power to break)
Speed: At least Massively Hypersonic+, likely much higher (All of Mettaton's forms seem to have relatively the same speed, but his EX form appears to be the most agile)
Lifting Strength: Unknown
Striking Strength: Unknown
Durability: Unknown (Mettaton has a defense value of a whopping 255. No matter how strong Frisk is by the time they reach Mettaton, they will be completely unable to harm him) | At least Town level, likely much higher | Small Town level to Town level (Comparable to monsters such Undyne and Papyrus)
Range: At least several dozen meters, likely much farther.
Intelligence: Incredibly high, though his vanity can often get the better of him.
Weaknesses: Mettaton is incredibly vain and can easily be distracted by anything that appeals to it (i.e. a mirror). Weak against murder intentions. | Short battery life, though Alphys appears to have fixed this by the end of the game. Weak against murder intentions. | Weak against murder intentions.
- Legs: Mettaton EX will create numerous copies of his own legs, sending them at his opponent.
- Mini Mettatons: Mettaton EX will summon tiny copies of his base form which will attack his opponent with deadly heart projectiles.
- Cross Bombs: Mettaton EX will rain bombs down on his opponent. When hit, the bombs will explode into bursts of energy in the form of a '+'.
- Arms: Mettaton EX will summon numerous copies of his arms, which are invincible save for a yellow square which must be hit in order to make them retreat.
- Heart to Heart: Mettaton EX's heart will fly out of his chest, firing bolts of lightning and electricity. Damaging or destroying the heart will also do damage to Mettaton himself.
- Disco Ball: Mettaton EX will summon a giant disco ball which fires lasers at his foes. Lasers of white light will always damage the opponent, but lasers of blue light are harmless to those who stand still. Hitting the disco ball will not damage it, but instead cause white lasers to turn blue and blue lasers to turn white.
Key: Base | Mettaton EX | Mettaton NEO