Thank you for the discussion, sorry for being unpleasant. Please forgive me. I'm gonna get to work on those revision threads. Obviously, you're welcome to participate in them. I'll try not to post too much more on your message wall.
2. Yah tell me, how long have you been on the site? I played it when I was 10-12, then left and came back when I learnt that the site had a "downtime" in visits, so I joined in to get as much stuff as I could get,
I was on & off for a while in my youth, but I'm much more active on the site now. Checking my account, I started playing March 17th, 2004. User account shield says 13 & a half years.
BTW, I doubt you ever saved Neopets.com/~Novalind ? It was a pet page that had documented statistics for pet heights & weight. Sadly, I believe the data was lost when Novalind went to the pound & they got a default pet page. I don't know if anyone archived it.
Similar to the Neocolours page listing height, I believe such data was compiled based on user statistics. If there was ever something I'd want to do, it'd be to get that data back, or replace it.
In any case, I've had some of the Equipment, Faerie Abilities, & old Battledome stuff & other things on my mind if you wanna discuss. Might be asleep, soon, though. Gonna take an afternoon nap. 2 PM here. What time is it for you?
I wonder if I should be on the Knowledgeable Members List for Neopets, &/or put myself as a 'Verse Supporter on the page.
Pardon my delayed reply, please. So, just to be sure, you wanted to hear about that sorta' VsBattles-related Neopets-related stuff I had on my mind, right? Also, you still playing? & I'm guessing your silence means you didn't save Neopets.com/~Novalind?
In any case, while I await your answer(s), I'm gonna go put myself as a supporter.
Yay, thanks for the reply! ....Even if the contents of the reply are a little sad. Still, really glad to see your reply!
DAMNIT. So I guess the best way would be to keep an eye out to see if someone did save it. Maybe on the Neoboards.
Failing that, I guess the next best thing is to go to Neopet lookups & take the height & weight measurements, get at least 100 for each species, & then find the averages & such. Oh, & probably make sure that each pet is the same species it was created as, since changing species doesn't change height/weight. Great for people who want Eyrie-sized Xweetoks. Horrible for data documenters.
Anyway, in the mood to discuss some Neopets-related VsBattles stuff?
I know quite well of that link. I mentioned it in my 2nd post to this Message Wall. I had been mentioning data documentation because currently, pet height is documented, but not weight, thanks to the loss of Novalind.
Anyway, among a bunch of item-related things, there was a small issue that I think may be present regarding thesecalcs . Both assume Neopia's size is like that of Earth, but.... Are we sure about that? Take a look at these old versions of Neopia's map from the Explore page Jellyneo documented, please.
Those are the only versions of the map that I know of that give a size-measuring guide, but nonetheless, they do. (Personally, I wouldn't be unhappy if we ended up using the measurements provided by the 8th version of the Explore Map.)
So again. Are we SURE Neopia is Earth-like in size?
Another thing putting it into question is Moltara. Check out its Neopedia entry . Apparently, Moltara is at a depth of 7000 feet. I'm not sure if Moltara is meant to be near Neopia's core, but if it is, that's a very short distance to the core, unless they meant to put Kilometers in the Neopedia instead of feet.
2) It has the exact same day-night cycle as Earth, that means it has to be around the exact same size (The days are literally 24 hours and they have 365 days, they even have leap years). No other planet that NASA has ever found has the exact same day cycle.
Given that it's an online MMO, sharing the same day-night cycle & a 365 day calendary could just be argued as a product of game mechanics, no?
Even if it does have 24 hours days & 365 day years, it would still probably be worth using those images to determine its size, right?
How big is it then, & how could it change things, in theory?
Whatever your answers to that may be, I want to know your opinion on the possible inclusion of the following:
1. Species resistances & weaknesses. (Most pets had these, but they weren't re-implemented with the new Battledome.)
2. Species abilities. (Same thing.)
3. Feats based on old Faerie Abilities for Neopets to use in the Battledome.
4. Feats based on new Faerie Abilities for Neopets to use in the Battledome.
5. Stances. (An option in the old Battledome a user could select for their Neopet each turn. Different stances increased your defense or offense at the cost of the other, during the round they were used.)
1) Can't be one since Neopets is not a game, is a site... so, how can you have gameplay mechanics if it is not a game? Plus, their months, days and years work the same and they even exist in in-universe (Christmas exists for example and happens in the 25th of December, and New Year Eve's happens in the 31st).
2) I couldn't calculate the size because I don't have the full "rotated" map. The map in Neopets in divided in 4 pieces... unless I multiply by four. Gonna try that
Unfortunately, some are difficult to quantify. If their on-use text from the Old Battledome were available for Old Faerie Abilities, they might be more notable.
I'm gonna go over which ones I think have possibly quantifiable feats. Mind giving me your opinion on them, please?
BY NO MEANS DO YOU HAVE TO TRY TO DO ALL OR ANY OF THESE.
(But your discussion is appreciated.) (Descriptions in italics, if I feel they may help.)
1. Spark (Electricity, but wattage unknown. Scale to the finger?) "A gentle bolt of electricity will help fend off your enemies."
2. Air Shield (Speed & force of the air unknown, but the shield is as big as a Chia.) "Gusts of wind encircle your creature when it is attacked and help fend off incoming blows."
3. Darken (Range unknown, but maybe the light removal is quantifiable? An assumed range would be needed, unless you can get something from the animation.)
4. Magic Pebbles (Probably incredibly weak, but you could scale to the Aisha in the animation.) "This allows you to animate the rocks around you and fire pebbles at your enemies."
5. Burrow (Has a probably hilariously slow speed feat because the Lenny burrows underground fast enough to get below a fireball before it's on-screen.)
6. Twisting Vines (Since the Neopet using the magic makes the vine grow, can AP be found for this? Unfortunately, only dirt & the growing vine are visible in the animation.) "This ability summons vines from the forest to twist around and attack your opponents. "
10. Fiery Roar (The animation is briefly black, before the area around the... Skeith turns fiery, so is it possible the roar creates fire?)
11. Fireball (Probably hilariously low, & nothing to scale to in the animation.) "This powerful ability lets your pet shoot magical fireballs at its enemies. "
12. Lava Spit (Scale to Shoyru in animation? Creating lava might be notable.) "Your pet gains the ability to spit a bolt of molten hot lava at an enemy. "
13. Boil (Shows a cauldron of reddish orange liquid. Assume the energy needed to bring a cauldron of water to a boil?) "Invoking the power of flame against water will give you a powerful advantage against water creatures."
14. Meteor Shower (Sadly, JN doesn't have a description for it. Maybe another site does? Could we use an official definition for minimum meteor size or assume a size? Nothing but meteors & background in the animation.)
15. Magic Torch (Creates a torch, seemingly burning & illuminating? Apparently, never goes out, too. Quantifiable?) "The Magic Torch lights up dark areas and never goes out. "
16. Flash (Animation depicts a lightning bolt, but I'm unsure it is one.) "Blind your enemies with this flash and escape from combat easily. "
17. Sun Ray (The background behind the Kacheek is black before the sunbeam. What if we scaled the sunbeam to the Kacheek & assume it was created & illuminated at night time?) "A bright beam of sunlight that will help you defeat evil creatures. "
18. Bubble Shield (Covers a Techo, more bubbles visible in background.) "Although not a strong shield, this bubble will protect your pet for a short period of time. "
19. Water Jet (Scale to Kiko, animation loops, though. Find timeframe by determining amount of frames?) "Allows your pet to shoot a powerful jet of water at an enemy. "
20. Quench (Douses a burning/Fire Meerca such that it turns black, as if ashen. Water creation feat?) "Quenching the flames of fire-type creatures will give you an advantage against them in combat."
21. Watery Guardian (No description. Scale to the size of the Kau? Probably low, though.)
22. Scorch (Sponsor ability, no description on JN. Fire creation, but nothing to determine how much?)
So, any of that look interesting or notable? Thanks for your answering & patience, BTW.
Korbat (30% Resistance to Darkness, 30% Weakness to Light)
Nimmo (20% Resistance to Water)
Peophin (20% Resistance to Water, 10% Resistance to Earth, 15% Weakness to Fire)
Poogle (10% Resistance to Earth & Fire)
Pteri (40% Resistance to Air)
Scorchio (10% Resistance to Earth & Air, 30% Resistance to Fire)
Shoyru (20% Resistance to Fire)
Skeith (10% Resistance to Earth, Fire & Physical)
Tonu (15% Resistance to Physical)
Tuskaninny (20% Resistance to Water)
Usul (20% Resistance to Darkness, 20% Weakness to Fire & Water)
That's all the Species resistances & weaknesses listed. Unfortunately, while the icons & names of the species abilities are listed, the site doesn't have descriptions or animations for them. At best, you could assume feats or such from the names. Unless you can find a source for descriptions, images or animations for species abilities, you might have to go off of names.
Ex: Acara Tsunami, Bruce Blizzard, Moehog Lightning, Nimmo Lightning, etc.
About Neopia's size: Fair enough. I had just been considering getting 2nd opinions, for evaluation purposes. But my incredulity at the results may not be a solid enough basis. (Just to be sure, & sorry for asking a dumb question, did you measured how long the planet's curve is, or the diameter? Apologies for bothering you.)
Also, I did NOT know we had a "Normal Neopet" profile. 0_0
Anyway, I had been pondering if any of those abilities that I listed had noteworthy, quanitifiable feats, & wanted to know if you thought so. I hadn't been thinking of just adding them to a profile right away.
IMHO, the most easily quanitifiable & worthwhile are: Great Feast (mass of the items created & timeframe.), Fiery Roar (Determine how much fire is present via scaling to the Neopet. I'd assume Skeith.), Lava Spit (Scale amount of lava to the Shoyru), Boil (Orange-reddish colour aside, just find energy to boil a cauldron's worth of water.), Flash (Assume it's a lightning bolt, wait for approval/verdict), Sun Ray (Assume ground level, since Kacheeks aren't known to fly, night time because black background, & then scale the size of the sun beam to the Kacheek.), Quench (Scale the amount of water created to the Meerca, use as minimum since it covers the screen briefly.)
I don't expect you to do any calcs for them (No offense), but if you do, I'd be glad for that.
Although I'm considering asking about some of those old Faerie Abilities to see if they should be calc'd in the Calculations Request Thread.
There's probably hax in the abilities I didn't mention, too.
Also, there's a few small feats I'd like to go over from the New Faerie Abilities.
Lastly, just to be sure, we don't use the stuff from Statistics Titles, right?
In any case, I'm thinking, before any of this is added to the profile, maybe I should make sure it gets approved in a Content Revision Thread. You okay with that?