Maxima (マキシマ, Makishima) is a character best known for debuting as a member of the Hero Team in The King of Fighters '99; he was inspired by an older SNK character in Robo Army. He was added to the cast with the desire to add a "somber and reliable middle-aged character" to counteract the introduction of multiple teenage characters - though his character bio indicates he is still in his late twenties.
The origins of both K' and Maxima can be found in the Psikyo arcade game The Fallen Angels (堕落天使, Daraku Tenshi in Japan). This obscure 1998 release stars an emaciated goth in tight leather pants named Cool, along with a brawny, cybernetically enhanced police officer named Harry Ness. The man responsible for the design of both characters, Shinichi Morioka, migrated to SNK shortly after The Fallen Angels was released, and elements of Cool and Harry Ness' design were used in the creation of K′ and Maxima. The end result is that Maxima looks nearly identical to Harry. His namesake was taken from an AI program in the light novel Blue Knight Berserga Monogatari (青の騎士ベルゼルガ物語), which is set in the same universe as the anime series Armored Trooper Votoms.
Maxima is very serious about duty and business. He is a very honorable man who suffered greatly when Rocky died. He sees K' as a new Rocky and calls him "Aibou" (相棒, partner). He usually has to apologize for his partner's rudeness with a humble attitude. His mellow nature seems to belie his age, as several characters mistake him for being a few years older than he really is.
Powers and Stats
Origin: King of Fighters
Classification: Martial Artist, Cyborg
Speed: Massively Hypersonic (Can keep up with other KoF characters quite easily.)
Lifting Strength: Unknown
Striking Strength: Mountain Class
Durability: Mountain level (Can tank hits from opponents on his level.)
Stamina: High, can fight even while heavily injured
Range: Standard melee range, at least several meters with energy blasts
Standard Equipment: None
Weaknesses: None Notable
- Superhuman Strength - Maxima is able to throw someone as heavy as Chang Koehan with ease.
- Superhuman Reaction - Maxima's brain reacts twice as fast as a normal human being.
- Superhuman Endurance - Maxima's cyborg body is capable of enduring several gun blasts, as seen in his team's KOF '99 ending.
- Cyberpathy/Technopathy - Maxima can communicate with machines.
- Hack system - Maxima can hack into remote systems with his brain.
- Hack satellite - Maxima can hack into satellites through an antenna.
- Internal clock - Maxima has a real internal clock, which always gives him the right time and can work as a chronometer.
- Global Positioning System - Maxima has an internal GPS that shows him exactly where he is.
- Infrared vision - Maxima can see the infrared.
- Analyze Enemy - Maxima can completely analyze his enemy.