|“||If someone tells me that it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every time.||„|
|~ Madoka Kaname|
Madoka Kaname (鹿目 まどか, Kaname Madoka) is the protagonist of the anime and manga series, Puella Magi Madoka Magica. She is a gentle and kind girl who lives a normal life, has a happy life, surrounded by a good family and good friends. One day, she has a dream in which a mysterious girl fights a monster. The next day, the girl in her sleep, Homura Akemi, comes to her school as a transfer student.
Her life changes when she meets Kyubey, which gives you a desire to change her to become a Puella Magi. It is understood that she has great magical potential inside and Kyubey is particularly interested in making a deal with her.
"Witch of salvation. Her nature is mercy. She absorbs any life on the planet into her newly created heaven--her barrier. The only way to defeat this witch is to make the world free of misfortune. If there's no grief in this world, she will believe this world is already a heaven." -Official Description of the Kremhild Gretchen
"The Witch of Despair. Her nature is direct petition. The mouthpiece for all the unfulfilled hopes of all spent magical girls. If a hope is born that can rewrite the universe, then at the same time, it is born from the mud of despair. Everlasting wailing fills her body, a continuously swelling, empty doll. At the end of a magical girl’s karma, this witch continues to swell to absurd sizes. And in the end, her body could even destroy the galaxy." -Official Description of Ultimate Kremhild Gretchen
Powers and Stats
Tier: At least Low 5-B | At least Low 5-B, possibly 5-B | At least 5-B, eventually became at least 2-A | 2-A
Name: Madoka Kaname, Law of Cycles, Kriemhild Gretchen
Origin: Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Classification: Magical Girl | Witch of Salvation | Witch of Despair | Goddess, Conceptual Entity.
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Superhuman Speed, Magic, Immortality (Types 2 and 6), Flight, Telepathy, Weapon Creation, Transformation, Telekinesis, Healing, Weapon Enhancing, Energy Projection, Barrier and Armor bypassing via basic Magic Arrow, Resurrection, minor Light Manipulation, Death Manipulation with Purification and Possibly Smiting with White Light of Salavation, minor Body Control with Pannier Rocket, minor Size Manipulation with Twinkle Staff, gets stronger when very damaged, Acausality (Kyubey described Madoka as a singularity for cause and effect), Danmaku. Time Travel and Duplication via Magical Squall, Soul Destruction. Resistance to the following: Mind Manipulation, Life Absorption, and Magic. Unconvential Soul Manipulation Resistance. | All previous abilities but enhanced, Reality Warping, Mind Manipulation, Intangibility, Familiar Summoning, Pocket Reality Manipulation, Life Absorption, familiars can detect how impure someone is. | All previous abilities and should have her Ultimate form's abilties, enhanced even more, Constant Growth, Darkness Manipulation, Curse Manipulation. | All previous abilities of her magical girl form but enhanced, Non-Corporeal, Immortality (Types 3 and 9, exists in a higher plane of existence separated from the normal universe), Regeneration (Mid-Godly. Embodies the concept of destroying witches, which needs to be destroyed in order to truly kill her), Abstract Existence, Conceptual Manipulation, Causality Manipulation, Power Granting, Immunity to Soul Manipulation (Doesn't have a soul).
Attack Potency: At least Small Planet level (Managed to destroy Walpurgisnacht at the top of her "gear" in one timeline, has since then had several dozens of timelines [Now approaching 100], with each one making her significantly stronger.) | At least Small Planet level, possibly Planet level (Would have destroyed Earth over a period of time, should be far superior to her magical girl form) | At least Planet level (Was bigger than the Earth as her arms were able to enwrap the entire planet and even then, she was continuing to grow larger), eventually became at least Multiverse level+ (She was able to surpass Ultimate Madoka to the point that her curses alone are on par with her.) | Multiverse level+ (Destroyed the concept of witches in every universe before ascending to a higher level of existence to become a conceptual entity. Her multiverse was later confirmed to have infinite universes in Puella Magi Homura Tamura)
Speed: At least Massively Hypersonic+, likely Higher (Should be far superior to that of Homura Akemi. Far above all the other magical girls in the series) | At least Massively Hypersonic+, likely Higher (Should be superior to her magicial girl form.) | At least Sub-Relativistic+ (Traveled to the Earth from space in a short period of time), would eventually become At least Immeasurable, possibly Omnipresent (Would eventually become at least comparable to Ultimate Madoka in speed, but it is unknown whether or not she would become Nigh-Omnipresent due to possibly not being a concept). | Omnipresent on a 4-dimensional Multiversal+ scale (Exists as a concept throughout the entire Puella Magi multiverse. Can manifest outside the timelines as well)
Lifting Strength: Unknown | Unknown | Likely Class Z, possibly Class Y (Through sheer size), eventually became At least Immeasurable | Immeasurable
Striking Strength: At least Small Planet Class | At least Small Planet Class, possibly Planet Class | At least Planet Class (Through sheer size, Ult. Kremhild Gretchen could crush the planet with relative ease), eventually became at least Multiversal level+ | Multiversal+
Durability: At least Small Planet level | At least Small Planet level, possibly Planet level | At least Planet level (Due to sheer size), eventually became At least Multiverse level+. | Multiverse level+ (Existing as an abstract concept makes killing her very difficult without a high level of Concept Manipulation.)
Range: Planetary | Unknown, at least Planetary | Large Planetary, eventually became at least Multiversal+ (Her power was spreading from a timeline in a no longer existant multiverse to the multiverse during Wraith Arc.) | Multiversal+
Standard Equipment: A Staff that can behave as a bow.
Intelligence: At least Average as a Magical Girl, possibly Above Average (Despite being looked upon as the most naive of the magical girls, she was smart enough to avoid making a wish and made a complex wish while understanding its complications) | Likely Low as Kriemhild Gretchen (Has not shown any human level of intelligence as a witch, but has shown feeling and goes beyond primitive instinct in her actions.) | At least Average Human, possibly Nigh-Omniscient (Originally thought to be mindlessly bloodlusted, but her existance in the Wraith Arc suggests she knew about the fact that Homura Akemi's shield would protect her. Was shown to have Madoka's memories, which at the time would be Ultimate Madoka.) | Nigh-Omniscience as a Goddess (Her omnipresence allows her to see all timelines past, present, and future as well as shown to have awareness of all timelines)
Weaknesses: As a Goddess, she must live as a conceptual life form that is inconceivable to others, as such if her opponent isn't a potential threat to humanity (as clarified in Wraith Arc), or a witch, she cannot combat them. This shouldn't come up however, due to verse equalization.
Notable Attacks/ Techniques:
- Magical Staff: Essentially just strikes the enemy with Madoka's Staff.
- Super Staff: Charges up her staff to strike with even more damage than before.
- Twinkle Staff: Makes the staff huge, mowing down enemies in front of her.
- Magical Arrow: Fires an arrow that pierces through enemies.
- Spread Arrow: Fires an arrow that splits into multiple near the enemy.
- Twinkle Arrow: An amped version of the magical arrow, similar to the Twinkle Staff.
- Starlight Arrow: Fires a multitude of arrows in one direction, essentially a predecessor of the Magical Squall.
- Magical Squall: Shown in the final episode and the Homulily fight, she showers the sky with enough arrows to cover an entire city. In the final episode, however, it was shown that the arrows can travel through time and become duplicates of Madoka herself.
- Combination Squall: Alongside Homura Akemi, Madoka can release a more potent version of her Magical Squall.
- Pannier Rocket: Madoka inflates her body and fires herself at her opponent like a rocket.
- Healing Light: A ray of light that can heal an ally.
- Purifying Light: A variation of Healing Light that gets rid of any negative status conditions.
- Gospel of Resurrection: Shown in A Different Story and in the PSP game, this technique resurrects a fallen comrade.
- Purification: Madoka has a chance of one-shotting her enemy with any ordinary attack.
- White Light of Salvation: Any enemies near Madoka shall be purified, one-shotted by a white light.
- Witch's Kiss: Allows the user to corrupt the enemy into despair and allows the user to manipulate the enemy.
- False Paradise: The user absorbs the enemy into its body, creating a paradise suited for the enemy, this technique was stated in lore.
- Shooting Star: Shown by Ultimate Madoka to defeat Kriemhild Gretchen, its an amped up version of Magical Squall that according to the PSP game, fires an infinite amount of arrows at once.
- Conceptual Manipulation: As Ultimate Madoka, she has been shown to be capable of destroying the concept of a witch and creating the concept of a Wraith on a multiversal+ scale for all timelines, past and future included.
- Curse Manipulation: Her curses can corrupt and enhance deities originally made to resist and consume curses.
- Accidentally destroyed Mikihara City in the process of one-shotting Walpurgisnacht as a Magical Girl in the third timeline, which is exponentially weaker than the Final Timeline Madoka (At least City level, Attack Potency Feat)
- As Ultimate Kriemhild Gretchen, Madoka Kaname was capable of growing from a comet-sized witch to one that exceeded the Earth with her mere hands in a matter of moments. (Constant Growth Capabilities Feat)
- In the second timeline, Madoka was capable of deflecting Patricia's attacks.
- Parted a cloud looming over a city (Island level and High Hypersonic+)
- Somehow, Ultimate Kriemhild Gretchen survived both Ultimate Madoka's conceptual destruction and Shooting Star attack.
- During the Wraith Arc, Ultimate Kriemhild Gretchen grew so powerful that her curses alone became comparable to Ultimate Madoka's full power. (For reference, UKG should only have Universal+ level curses to counter Madoka's Universal level+ Hope)
Key: Final Timeline | Kriemhild Gretchen | Ult. Kriemhild Gretchen | Ultimate Madoka
Then she (through some paradox) destroyed her own future dark form. After that there was a complete reset of the causality of the world (as if former concepts and all related events never existed). Madoka herself became a conceptual entity (which means that it will take at least same level of power to destroy or rewrite the concept of Madoka).
However, Homura was not happy with the current state of affairs. So she gained the godlike power to rewrite the concept of Madoka and reset the world once again.
The Madokaverse includes 4-dimensional space. In Puella Magi Homura Tamura it was revealed that there are infinite universes.