Luigi (Japanese: ルイージ, Ruīji) is Mario's younger, taller, thinner twin brother. He is a major protagonist of the Mario series. Luigi has helped and fought alongside his brother on many occasions.
Throughout his life, he has lived in Mario's shadow, developing both cowardly and heroic tendencies. Mario Bros. marks his first appearance in the Mario series and his debut in general. Originally a palette swap of Mario, Luigi was created to facilitate a second player option. Since the two-player mode was dropped from most main Super Mario games beginning with Super Mario Land, Luigi has gained his own identity and personality.
This is especially noticeable in installments for the Luigi's Mansion series of games, as well as the Mario & Luigi series.
Powers and Stats
Tier: Varies. Ranges from Low 7-B to High 4-C, possibly 4-A, or higher at his peak
Origin: Mario Bros
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Versatility, Invulnerability, Pyrokinesis without Fire Flower (In some games), Lightning Manipulation, Negative Zone creation, Enhanced Jumps (Jumps higher than Mario), Enhanced Hammermanship, Time Travel, Shares a telepathic bond with Mario, Powers-ups which grants him abilities including the Mushroom which grows the user in size, The Fire Flower gives Luigi Pyrokinesis, The Ice Flower grants Cyrokinesis, The Cape Feather grants him Flight, etc.
Attack Potency: Varies. Ranges from Small City level (Comparable to Mario, who punted Larry's castle in Super Mario World) to Large Star level (Regularly fights and defeats Bowser who can survive a supernova), Moon level with the Poltergust 5000 (Destroyed a realm's moon in Luigi's Mansion), possibly Multi-Solar System level, or higher at his peak (Capable of fighting Bowser being powered by artifacts and other beings around these levels. However, these achievements are rather debatable due to vastly different and the nature of the series.)
Speed: Massively Hypersonic (Comparable to Mario, who can dodge lightning) to Massively FTL+ (Can quickly travel between different galaxies with Launch Stars and dodged attacks from a Grand Star-powered Bowser, who can tag Lubba's ship and flew the center to the universe in a short time)
Lifting Strength: Class G (He isn't that much weaker than Mario, who can casually lift castles but not by that much). Certain power-ups can increase his strength even further.
Striking Strength: Varies. Ranges from Class PJ (Casually punts Larry's castle) to Class XTJ, possibly Multi-Solar System Class, or higher at his peak
Durability: Varies. Ranges from Small City level to Large Star level, possibly Multi-Solar System level, or higher at his peak
Stamina: Very High
Range: Depends on the power up. Standard melee range to at least several dozen meters with powerups.
Standard Equipment: Hammer, Poltergust 3000 (A vacuum which captures ghosts), and various power up.
Intelligence: Not smarter than Mario, but is a combatant expert and an experienced plumber. He recently became a doctor as well.
Weaknesses: Varies but usually cowardly and clumsy. Has a phobia of ghosts.
- Thunderhand: Taught by the Thunder God. Luigi's gathers lightning in his hand and discharges it at the target for critical damage which can lower defense and attack power. There's a similar variant used in his Megastrike called "Thunder Luigi" which has a re-entry effect upon the object he strikes his lightning with.
- Super Jump: Crouches down and rocket jumps into the air, damaging anything in his path. He has a similar variant called Super Jump Punch that delivers a powerful flaming uppercut in the first strike.
- Green Missile: After charging up, he horizontally launches himself while exploding his target on contact.
- Fireballs: Luigi shoots green fireballs that can defy gravity. He can launch up to five at once in Mario Kart: Double Dash.
- Luigi Cyclone: Luigi can make a cyclone by throwing(Tornado Ball), kicking (Vortex Luigi), swinging a weapon at an object(Tornado Swing), or horizontally spinning himself.
- Negative Zone: Luigi creates a zone with varying negative effects to his opponents such as slowing down, continuous damage, or falling asleep.