|“||Stopping to dirty tricks is a mage's role. My kind just fights where and when we're told.||„|
|~ Lancer, to Rin|
Lancer (ランサー, Ransā) is the Lancer-class Servant of Bazett Fraga McRemitz during the Fifth Holy Grail War, but he becomes Kirei Kotomine's Servant after he ambushes Bazett and steals her Command Seals. His true name is Cú Chulainn (クー・フーリン, Kū Fūrin), Ireland's legendary Child of Light, a great hero of the Ulster Cycle. A demigod, the son of the mortal woman Deichtine, the younger sister of King Conchobar mac Nessa, and Lugh, the god of the sun. He was born Sétanta (セタンタ, Setanta), taking on his best known name after slaying the guard dog of the master blacksmith Culann. Ashamed of his actions, he offered to become Culann's guard dog to make up for this loss, and was ever since known as "Culann's savage dog".
Powers and Stats
Tier: At least 7-B, higher with the Soaring Spear that Strikes with Death, 7-A with runes. | 7-A, higher with the Soaring Spear that Strikes with Death and runes.
Name: Lancer. Cú Chulainn, Sétanta, the Child of Light.
Origin: Fate/stay night
Classification: Lancer-class Servant, Heroic Spirit, Demigod
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Weapon Mastery, Rune Magic (Allows for Forcefield Creation, Elemental Manipulation, and temporary boosts to his Noble Phantasms and parameters), can easily predict the paths of incoming projectiles, Regeneration Negation with Gáe Bolg, Causality Manipulation with Gáe Bolg (The Barbed Spear that Pierces with Death reverses causality so the effect of the target's heart being pierced occurs before the cause of the attack), can temporarily fight on even with lethal injuries, is an expert at slaying monsters, Soul Manipulation (All Servants can consume souls to replenish their mana), Intangibility and Invisibility in spirit form, Immunity to conventional weapons, Resistance to Magic (Including effects such as Petrification, Spatial Manipulation, and Mind Manipulation), Regeneration (Mid-Low)
Attack Potency: At least City level (Fought against every Servant of the Fifth Holy Grail War, including Saber and Assassin), higher with the Soaring Spear that Strikes with Death (It broke through all seven layers of Archer's Rho Aias, though this may have been due to a battle of concepts), Mountain level with runes (He'd have a small chance of winning against Berserker through ranking-up his strength and Noble Phantasms). The Barbed Spear that Pierces with Death ignores conventional durability (It reverses cause and effect to bypass barriers and always strike its target's heart). | Mountain level (When summoned in Europe, or, more specifically, Ireland, his strength is at his peak, making him superior to Diarmuid and comparable to Saber and Berserker at their peaks), higher with the Soaring Spear that Strikes with Death and runes. The Barbed Spear that Pierces with Death ignores conventional durability.
Speed: At least Hypersonic+ with High Hypersonic combat speed (Superior in speed to Saber as the fastest Servant of the Fifth Holy Grail War alongside Rider, surpassing her in short burst speed. Casually blitzed Archer).
Lifting Strength: Unknown
Striking Strength: At least City Class | Mountain Class
Durability: At least City level, higher with runic barriers (Stated to be able to block a great Noble Phantasm) | Mountain level, higher with runic barriers
Range: Extended melee range, further with runes, Tens of Kilometers with the Soaring Spear that Strikes with Death (Lancer can throw it from forty kilometers away).
Standard Equipment: Gáe Bolg
Intelligence: As Ireland's Child of Light, Lancer is renowned for his incredible combat ability, killing Chulann's fierce guard hound as a child even before being properly trained. Although he is skilled at fighting offensively as one of the Knight Classes, Lancer is an even better defensive fighter, parrying blows from Saber's invisible sword and surviving a battle with every Servant as per Kirei's Command Seal, including the monstrously powerful Berserker. This is all while the same Command Seal prevented him from going all out, and is only seen using his true ability while fighting Archer for the second time during Unlimited Blade Works, with the narrative making it clear that Archer only survived the encounter due to fighting Lancer previously, the latter easily overwhelming the former. He's able to fight with intensity, using every part of the spear to attack his opponents and leaving few opportunities to counter attack, allowing him to close in on foes despite the disadvantage it would normally create for a spear wielder. He is also highly experienced in the use of the original eighteen Norse Runes as well as other forms thaumaturgy, easily determining the quality and origin of the Blood Fort Andromeda and supplementing his martial skills with boons provided by the use of Runes, being proficient enough to qualify for the Caster class despite his reputation. He is also an expert monster hunter, giving him great comparability against monsters or those who can become monsters or were monsters in the past (i.e. Rider).
Weaknesses: Lancer is somewhat arrogant and has a "warrior's dignity". He can be goaded into using the Soaring Spear as opposed to the Barbed Spear (such as when Archer insulted his pride) and doing so will drain most of his mana reserves, leaving him unable to use Barbed Spear or Soaring Spear until he takes the time to recharge. He has horrible luck for a Servant, which leads to many of his attempts in using Gáe Bolg to fail.
Notable Attacks / Techniques:
- Gáe Bolg: Barbed Spear that Pierces with Death: One of Lancer's two Noble Phantasms utilizing his cursed spear, Gáe Bolg. Carved from the remains of the beast Curruid's skull, it inhibits regeneration, making it difficult to heal from wounds it inflicts. Although one can save themselves through external means of healing, the wound will not heal completely until Lancer's death. When used in this manner, it reverses causality so that the cause of the spear being thrust comes after the effect of the opponent's heart being pierced, making it a sure-fire one-hit kill technique. As long as the Noble Phantasm's true name is released, it strikes its target without fail, even if they use a technique that reverses time. When it strikes, Gáe Bolg fills the target's body with thorns and destroys it from the inside. It is described as causing damage equal to the opponent's maximum health plus the damage of the spear, always striking the "heart". While it is powerful, those with a high degree of luck and/or divine protection (such as Saber) can potentially survive.
- Gáe Bolg: Soaring Spear that Strikes with Death: The true use of Gáe Bolg, and Lancer's strongest attack that utilizes the full potential of Gáe Bolg's Curse. It converts all of Lancer's magical energy into raw power and when thrown It distorts space to make it split into over 30 spearheads to wipe out enemies in a carpet bombing fashion. Unlike the Barbed Spear, it does not have the property of reversing cause and effect to always pierce the heart, but its power and range are instead greatly increased, and it cannot be dodged or blocked under normal circumstances, requiring the use of a shield specialized in protecting against thrown spears to hold it back. Even if it is somehow dodged, it will still strike its opponent, homing in on them.
In Ireland, he'd also have access to a rare castle Noble Phantasm, a chariot, and a "Blessing of Wakefulness".
- Magic Resistance: An ability that grants protection against magical effects. As opposed to the Resistance effect, which merely rejects Magical Energy, this ability cancels the spells altogether. Lancer's C Rank cancels spells with a chant below two verses, but cannot defend against Magecraft on the level of High-Thaumaturgy and Greater Rituals.
- Battle Continuation: The strength of vitality for predicaments and the ability to withdraw from combat and reach allied territory alive after being defeated. Lancer's A-Rank Battle Continuation makes it possible for him to fight even with deadly injuries and will remain alive for as long as he does not receive a decisive fatal wound, such as having his heart or head completely destroyed.
- Disengage: The ability to break away from combat. Due to having C Rank proficiency in this skill, it also has the bonus ability of returning the conditions of a fight back to what they were at the beginning.
- Divinity: The measure of whether one has Divine Spirit aptitude or not. At high levels one is treated as a mixed race of a Divine Spirit, and the level declines when the Heroic Spirit's own rank as a Monster, Demonic Beast raises. It can also decrease due to one's dislike for the gods. It also has an effect which reduces special defensive values called "purge defense" in proportion to the Divinity's Rank.
- Protection from Arrows: A skill that provides an increased defense against ranged attacks by predicting the projectiles' trajectories through exceptional means, such as hearing the sound of air being cut, or sensing the killing intent of the enemy. As long as the shooter is within the line of sight, this skill user can track down ranged weapons with his eyes and defend against them. However, this ability does not apply when these ranged attacks are made from extremely far distances or have a great area-of-effect. Lancer has demonstrated this skill on numerous occasions, deflecting Archer's projectiles and True Assassin's dirks with relative ease.
- Rune Magic: A skill that measures one's knowledge of this type of Northern European Magecraft. He has mastered the original eighteen Norse Runes, which would give him A-Rank proficiency as Caster, but is downgraded to B-Rank proficiency as Lancer. With it he is able to achieve a variety of effects such as setting up runic barriers that are able to block great Noble Phantasms, amplifying the effects of Gáe Bolg to make it equal an A-Rank Noble Phantasm, setting fire to all of Einzbern Castle, and creating a field where neither Lancer nor his opponent can retreat from, ensuring honorable combat.
Key: Base | Summoned in Europe