Yoko Kurama (妖狐蔵馬, Yōko Kurama; in the English dub, Kurama the Yoko), also known as Shuichi Minamino, is a main protagonist in the anime/manga series of YuYu Hakusho. The word Yoko, despite being portrayed as a name in the dub, actually literally translates to "demon fox" in Japanese.
Yoko Kurama is the name of the original, silver-haired fox demon. After he was wounded by being chased, he put his spirit into the newly born human baby, Shuichi Minamino. It is at this point, and later through aging, that Kurama's psyche is in control. A theme throughout the series is his acceptance as a human being & his balancing of the two personalities. He can switch between both bodies almost at will after the Dark Tournament saga.
Powers and Stats
Tier: 8-C | At least 8-A | At least High 6-C, likely higher | 6-B
Name: Yoko Kurama, but the name of his Human host is Minamino Shuichi
Origin: Yu Yu Hakusho
Age: Human host is 19 at the end of the manga, he himself is over 1000
Classification: Fox Demon fused with a Human body
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Can summon a wide variety of plants from the demon realm, as well as acids from plants, one of which being able to mind attack an opponent (Also has the ability to turn any type of plant into a weapon. Hiei commented that a single blade of grass used by Kurama can cut steel), Basic Martial Arts, Skilled in using a whip offensively, Is able to make himself immune to mind reading, Genius Intelligence, Illusion Creation, Flight (With Fuyōka no Makai Shokubutsu)
Attack Potency: Building level+ (Less powerful than Hiei and Yusuke but can still pose a threat to them. Hiei considers him extremely dangerous) | At least Multi-City Block level (Should be equal to his durability) | At least Large Island level, likely higher (Should be equal to his durability) | Country level (Casually killed Yomi’s former second in command with his rose whip)
Speed: Supersonic (Faster than Kazuma Kuwabara) | High Hypersonic (Slightly slower than Hiei and as fast as Dark Tournament Yusuke) | Massively Hypersonic | Massively Hypersonic (Speedblitzed another S-Class Demon)
Lifting Strength: Superhuman | At least Class K | At least Class G | At least Class T
Striking Strength: Building Class+ | At least Multi-City Block Class | At least Large Island Class, likely higher | Country Class (Was middle to Upper S-class at this point. Thus vastly superior to Sensui. One shot a Lower S-Class Demon, whose power level was above Sensui's, with his Rose Whip)
Durability: Building level+ (Survived a killing strike from Spirit Detective arc Hiei, albeit was badly wounded. Also survived a full powered strike strike from a Saint Beast just below Byakko) | At least Multi-City Block level (Survived Karasu's largest explosion) | At least Large Island level, likely higher (Survived at least one attack from a serious Defensive Armor Sensui) | Country level
Stamina: Fairly large, demonstrated in the Dark Tournament he had enough stamina to go through two rounds with fighters of his level by himself.
Range: Standard melee range. Extended melee range to hundreds of meters with Rose Whip.
Standard Equipment: A rose which can be turned into a thorn whip, various seeds from demon world plants.
Intelligence: Very high. Has proven himself throughout the series to be a strategic/tactical genius and unmatched in terms of ability to analyse enemies and form plans on the fly to take them down. Yomi valued his input and thinking ability to such an extent that he desired his assistance even after learning that it was Kurama himself who hired the assassin who blinded him.
Weaknesses: None notable
- Yoko Kurama Transformation: With the past life seeds that Suzuki gave him Kurama can become Yoko Kurama for a short amount of time, boosting his fighting abilities. By the end of the manga Kurama could do this without the need of the seeds.
- Rose Whip: Kurama's signature technique where he uses his demon energy to grow a rose from its seed state to its flowering state and then into a long thorny whip that is capable of cutting even through steel.
- Kagon Retsuzanshi: Also known as Rose Whiplash, Kurama swiftly slashes the whip in multiple directions.
- Fūka Enbu Jin: Also known as Rose Whip Thorn Wheel, a whirlwind of rose petals hovers around Kurama and if the opponent/attacker gets within a certain range the petals attack and rip them to shreds.
- Shimaneki Sō: Also known as Seed of the Death Plant, this is a small seed that Kurama plants in his opponent's body and can be manipulated using his demon energy. After it has had enough time to secure its roots within the victim's body, the seed kills the victim.
- Shoku Yō Shokubutsu: Also known as Death Tree, this is a giant carnivorous tree with an acidic saliva that strikes anything that moves.
- Makai Ojigi: Also known as Ojigi Plant, a plant indigenous to South America. It responds to movements or flammables by closing its leaves around its prey and crushes it to death.
- Kyūketsu Shokubutsu: Also known as Blood Sucking Plant, a special demon world plant that can attach itself to its victim and drain them of their blood.
- Akaru Weed: Also known as Lamp Weed, plants that act as markers for Kurama to find his way back.
- Janenju: Also known as Sinning Tree, the tree responds to the memories of the victims and forces them to replay their fears until they die.
- Fuyōka no Makai Shokubutsu: Also known as Leaf of a Plant, this plant appears as "wings" similar to that of a butterfly on Kurama's back that double as a glider.
- Yōzan Ken: Also known as The Binding Fist of the Demonic Vine, it is similar to the Rose Whip in that it is composed of a vine with thorns, but this time it grows around Kurama's arm and is wielded as a sword-like weapon.
- The Pseudocreature: A plant that merges with the target on a cellular level, instinctively repairing any damage done to the host's body, unless the victims brain is destroyed, it will remain in a half-alive state for a long, long time (used for torture).
Key: Spirit Detective Arc | Dark Tournament Arc | Chapter Black Arc | Three Kings Arc