|“||If I prepare a thousand options, all I need is for one of them to work. So I make a habit of preparing anything and everything that shows any kind of promise. That's just how I work.||„|
|~ Urahara to Askin|
|“||What’s so outrageous? This is a real battle. If you lose, you die. Taking every possible precaution to avoid death...isn't that what everyone does?||„|
|~ Urahara to Askin|
Kisuke Urahara (浦原 喜助, Urahara Kisuke) is the former captain of the 12th Division, as well as the founder and 1st President of the S.R.D.I.. His lieutenant was Hiyori Sarugaki. He lives in the Human World where he owns a small convenience store which sells Shinigami items. He is assisted by his employees Tessai Tsukabishi, Jinta Hanakari, and Ururu Tsumugiya.
Powers and Stats
Tier: At least 7-A, Unknown with Bankai
Name: Kisuke Urahara
Age: Over 100
Classification: Shinigami, Former Captain of the 12th Division
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Pseudo-Flight, Kidō Master, Zanjutsu Master, Hakuda Master, Shunpo Master, The ability to use Reiryoku and exert it as Reiatsu, Spiritual Awareness, Can sense beings with Reiatsu, Energy Blasts, Can open portals and travel between dimensions, Paralysis (via Rikujōkōrō and Shitonegaeshi), Sealing, Regeneration (Low-Mid) via Bankai, and Can rewrite the structure of objects
Attack Potency: At least Mountain level+ (On par with base Aizen, managed to pierce a partial Chrysalis Aizen with Jūgeki Byakurai, fought a Vollständig Askin), Unknown with Bankai (His Bankai ignores conventional durability)
Lifting Strength: Superhuman
Striking Strength: Mountain Class+
Durability: Mountain level+ (Took hits from a base and a partial Chrysalis Aizen)
Stamina: Very high
Range: Extended melee range normally, several hundred meters with Benihime's special abilities and certain Kido spells
Standard Equipment: His Zanpakutō, Benihime, Portable Gigai (a dummy with which he can switch places to avoid attacks)
Intelligence: Urahara is quite possibly the greatest genius in Soul Society's history, having invented numerous creations such as numerous Gigai variations, Tenshintai (which allowed a capable individual to achieve Bankai in a mere three days compared to the usual ten year period), and the infamous Hogyoku. Even the incredibly manipulative and calculating Aizen considers Urahara to be his intellectual superior. Aside from his incredible intellect, he is also a master of Hakuda, Zanjutsu, and Kido, the Shinigami hand-to-hand, sword-based, and magical combat styles. He can easily incapacitate an entire prison full of Soul Society's most dangerous criminals with his bare hands and comfortably clash with other Shinigami Captains and the Espada in a swordfight. His mastery of Kido is so great that he's invented several of his own spells and has opened barriers that Shinigami Captains could not. He is also a master of deception and strategy, admitting to Aizen that he planned and prepared for virtually every scenario within reason and hiding his intellect underneath a facade of frivolousness and cheery eccentricity.
Weaknesses: His sealing technique requires the target to be weakened for it to take full effect.
Shitonegaeshi (褥返し, Cushion Return): A pinning technique which subdues an opponent and immobilizes them on the ground using coercion alone, with Urahara suspending the tip of his cane just millimeters from their face after he has struck them down.
- Hōzuri (頬摺, Cheek Stroke): A simple but precise slash technique which is meant only to lightly graze and cause superficial wounds.
Hakuda Master: As a former commander of the Detention Unit of the Onmitsukidō, Urahara was not allowed to use weapons in the Nest of Maggots, so he became highly proficient in unarmed combat.
Shunpo Master: As a former Onmitsukidō unit commander, Urahara has exceptional skill in Shunpo and is well-versed in its various techniques. He is so fast, an opponent does not notice when he replaces himself with a portable Gigai for misdirection; this is further demonstrated when he uses this tactic effectively against Aizen.
Immense Spiritual Power: As a former captain of the 12th Division, Urahara boasts great amounts of spiritual energy. His energy is intense enough to make opponents with high levels of energy sweat in fear.
Genius Intellect: Urahara has proven himself to be the most intelligent being both within and outside of Soul Society. Much of his intellect is seen in scientific inventions, deduction of situations, and combat tactics. Aizen himself acknowledges Urahara's intelligence surpasses his own immense intellect. Even after a century of exile, the SRDI still holds great respect for his talents. He is very insightful of other people, allowing him to see through a person's demeanor and determine what they are thinking. Also able to read well into the situation, he can seemingly predict anything well in advance. After Orihime inadvertently revealed her powers to Ulquiorra, Urahara correctly deduced Aizen would try to capture Orihime to use her against Soul Society, and had already prepared to send Ichigo to Hueco Mundo before he even had a chance to ask. Kisuke is a highly capable teacher. In only five days of unorthodox training, he conditioned Ichigo into an experienced fighter on par with lieutenant-level Shinigami. His knowledge has given him an innate understanding of the abilities of others and what happens when independent variables are entered into an equation. It was for this reason why Kisuke was chosen as one of the 5 Special War Powers by the Wandenreich.
- Master Scientist and Inventor: As the founder and former head of the SRDI, Urahara is a talented inventor and scientist, having created a number of devices and techniques to aid him in battle or otherwise. His intellect in this field is evident, having created the most amazing things in Soul Society's history. As he has been inventing and creating things before becoming a seated officer in the 2nd Division, he can create his inventions in rather short amounts of time. He modified a simple plushy doll into a two-way monitor to speak between dimensions, greatly intriguing Kurotsuchi. Urahara figured out how to restore Ichigo's Shinigami powers seventeen months after losing them. He is even able to determine the true mechanics behind a new advanced power and how to disrupt it, even the ability of the Quincy to steal one's Bankai. He is a highly adept chemist, having recreated the unique healing properties of both the "White Bone Pond" and "Blood Hell Pond" in his own hot spring. Urahara also has highly capable medical skills, regularly healing Ichigo and his friends when battle-worn. He also has a very detailed understanding of the Hollowfication process and has determined how to stabilize a victim of it, as seen with the Visored.
- Master Strategist and Tactician: Despite his aloof and unkempt appearance, Urahara is a very insightful and cunning man. He possesses great intuition, quickly becoming aware of any incoming danger and reacting to it in time. Urahara has an undeniable talent for thinking things through well in advance, making decisive and accurate decisions quickly in battle, and seemingly perceiving any situation at hand. He is a crafty tactician, easily deceiving both allies and enemies. In battle, he regularly uses cunning and deception to catch his opponents off-guard. He is a very analytical man, quickly seeing through an opponent's power and attack patterns to ultimately make them useless against him. He easily outmaneuvered and tricked Aizen repeatedly in his fight with him. Urahara stated that he goes into situations expecting many possible scenarios just so he is never caught by surprise and making it possible for him to be ready for any that might occur.
Master Assassin: As a former high-ranking member of the Onmitsukidō, Kisuke possesses considerable mastery in the art of stealth combat. During his battle against Yammy, he repeatedly caught his opponent completely off guard and effectively took advantage of it. Even the perceptive and intuitive Aizen was caught by surprise. He was also able to launch a successful sneak attack on the Quincy Quilge, sensing when he wasn't using his Blut Vene for defense.
ZanpakutōBenihime (紅姫, Crimson Princess): A blade described by Urahara as "not nice", it is one of the few known Zanpakutō with a female spirit owned by a male. When sealed, Benihime is a beige-colored shikomizue (a blade hidden inside a cane) with a curved handle and silver base. As the blade resides in a cane, the cane's handle is still the hilt and the shaft is the sheath, allowing it to still operate like other Zanpakutō. The shaft's base bears a skull and blue flame mark on the bottom, which can separate souls from bodies by pressing the mark to it. Back when Urahara was still in the Gotei 13, Benihime was sealed in an average-sized katana form, with a black sheath worn under Urahara's sash. It had an oval-shaped tsuba, with a snowflake-design embossed in it, and a black hilt-wrapping.
- Shikai: Benihime's Shikai command is "Awaken" (起きろ, okiro). Its Shikai takes the form of a sleek, medium-sized sword. The hilt's grip, which has a gentle black-decorative wrapping, bends forward at the end, with a pommel shaped overlap three times, and a crimson tassel dangling from its base. Instead of a tsuba, there is a U-shape guard covering three inches of blade, with a flower petal design. At the base of the guard is a red string wrapped thrice around the hilt, with a three-loop bow on the back side and a folded paper decoration on the front side. The blades hamon is straight, colored black with a silver edge, and is somewhat thicker than the cane-sealed state. It remains straight and slim with a somewhat short size, with the tip ending in a slanted razor-like edge instead of tapering to a point.
Shikai Special Ability: Benihime is capable of performing a variety of crimson-colored energy techniques. Urahara can use these techniques of Benihime's with a variety of verbal commands that corresponds to its different abilities.
- Nake, Benihime (啼け紅姫, Sing, Crimson Princess): This technique fires particularly strong and destructive crimson-colored energy blasts. The energy flows out of the blade and fires in the arc of the sword's swing. The technique is capable of taking on a point-blank Cero from an Espada-level Arrancar by dissipating it with a blast of equal power. He can charge up this technique to deal considerably more damage.
- Chikasumi no Tate (血霞の盾, Blood Mist Shield): This technique forms a hexagon-shaped crimson barrier in front of the blade for defensive purposes. The barrier is called out with the same command as the "Nake" technique. The barrier can easily block a direct punch from the immensely strong Yammy Llargo without any damage or repercussions to Urahara, and block Ichigo's first use of his "Getsuga Tenshō" while only slightly eroding, after which Urahara states he would have lost an arm were it not for the shield.
- Kamisori, Benihime (剃刀紅姫, Razor, Crimson Princess): A technique which fires an energy arc capable of cutting through materials and substances with relative ease. This arc moves towards the target and can instantly change direction. It cut through a Hierro-protected tentacle of Luppi Antenor.
- Tsuppane, Benihime (突ッ撥紅姫, Spurning, Crimson Princess): After analyzing a technique's Reishi composition and the subject's muscle movements when they use the technique, by simply drawing a circle of energy with the edge of Benihime and timing it right, this technique can cancel out the enemy's attack at the point of contact.
- Shibari, Benihime (縛り紅姫, Crimson Princess of Binding): This technique launches condensed energy in the form of a tangible blood red net, generated from the blade length, and simply throws it over the intended target (typically from above) with a simple slashing motion from Benihime. The net further binds and restricts an opponent’s movements by constricting to its form. This net appears elongated and somewhat narrow.
- Hiasobi, Benihime, Juzutsunagi (火遊 紅姫 数珠繋, Fire-Playing Crimson Princess Beaded Mesh): After using the Shibari technique, Urahara stabs the net with the tip of Benihime, creating orbs of fire along the outside length of the net, which explode like linked land-mines in a domino formation, leading toward the target bound under the net. When the orbs come into direct contact with the intended target, they create a tremendously large and devastating explosion.
- Bankai Special Ability: Kannonbiraki Benihime Aratame has the ability to restructure anything it touches for both offensive and supportive purposes. Offensively, it can split open whatever is within its area of effect as if cutting with a knife. This "splitting" is similar to the act of Dissecting something by cutting it open. Supportively, it can restructure something by stitching it back together; this can be used as a form of healing, such as when Urahara restored his eyes using this power. It also can be used as a way to bring something to an optimal working state by enhancing it, which Urahara used to overpower Askin Nakk Le Vaar by restructuring his arm to have greater strength. All uses of this are manifested in the form of cutting said objects into parts and then using stitches to sew the pieces back together. With it, Urahara can also create a path for others to move through obstacles or barriers.
Kidō Master: Urahara is a master in the use of Hadō and Bakudō spells. He can silently, and without warning, use low and mid-level Kidō to great effect. He can rapidly use a single high-level Kidō repeatedly, or multiple ones in quick succession, by name alone, without incantation or calling the type and level, while retaining considerable power and control. He can use multiple Kidō in conjunction for various combination and diversion tactics, and have them remain undetected until sprung in sync in a chain reaction. Aizen admitted that if not for the Hōgyoku, Urahara's prowess would have surely defeated him.
- Kidō Creation: Urahara can create his own unique high-level Kidō, each designed for a very specific or versatile nature. Some of these said spells draw influence from other techniques.
- Fūsatsu Kakei: (封殺火刑, Seal Slaying-Fire Penance): A Kidō where a pair of handcuffs appears on the target's palms, stopping the flow of their spiritual energy. This allows it to build up in the target's hands, which disrupts the flow of energy all around the their body, preventing them from properly using techniques involving it and eventually incinerating/detonating them from the inside if the energy isn't released.
- Shibireyubi (しびれ指, Numbing Finger): As the practitioner places a finger in front of the victim's face, a ball of white energy flashes momentarily before the victim's eyes. Immediately incapacitated, the victim falls to the ground while remaining conscious and aware of what is going on around them.
- Keikaigi (繫界儀, World-Tying Rite): This technique connects the space tying two worlds together to produce a Garganta. The opening is generated between two large wooden posts jutting out from two large rock formations. He is later able to open the portal silently and whenever he chooses.
- Bakudō #61: Rikujōkōrō (六杖光牢, Six Rods Prison of Light; Viz "Six-Rod Light Restraint"): Summons six thin, wide beams of light that slam into a target's midsection, holding them in place. The target is then unable to move any part of their body including the parts that were not struck by the beams.
- Bakudō #63: Sajō Sabaku (鎖条鎖縛, Locking Bondage Stripes): Creates numerous golden ropes that seek the target and tighten around their arms and torso to prevent proper movement.
- Bakudō #79: Kuyō Shibari (九曜縛, Nine Sunlight Traps): Creates eight black holes that emit spiritual energy in the personal space surrounding the target, with a ninth black hole manifesting in the center of the targets chest.
- Jūgeki Byakurai (Kaizō Kidō); 重撃白雷 (改造鬼道), Heavy-Strike Pale Lightning (Modified Kidō): A modified version of Hadō #4. Byakurai. Unlike its unmodified counterpart, this spell takes the appearance of a red beam powerful enough to pierce through a durable foe, such as Sōsuke Aizen, from a considerable distance.
- Hadō #32: Ōkasen (黄火閃, Yellow Fire Flash): Fires a wide arc of energy using Kidō which can also be used as a distraction.
- Hadō #91: Senjū Kōten Taihō (千手皎天汰炮, Thousand-Hand Bright Heaven Culling-Sear): A Kidō which summons several spears of light that are all fired towards the same focal point where the intended target resides to create an explosion.
- Kyūjūrokkei Kakafūmetsu (九十六京火架封滅, Ninety-Six Capitol Fire-Suspended Seal Destruction): An original spell that requires the target to be sufficiently weakened by a powerful attack, it impales the target from the inside out with cross-shaped pillars of light before solidifying and sealing the target within a vaguely star-shaped barrier. This spell was powerful enough to completely restrain Aizen after the latter survived Ichigo's Mugetsu.
Having founded the research institute in Soul Society, Kisuke has developed a number of unique items.
- Hōgyoku (崩玉; Crumbling Orb, Viz: "Breakdown Sphere", also referred as The Orb of Distortion): A small orb which was initially believed to only be capable of dissolving the boundary between a Shinigami and a Hollow and vice-versa. However, according to Aizen, its true ability is materializing the inner desires of the people around it.
- Gigai Technology: a Gigai (義骸; faux body) is an artificial body created to help broken souls to stabilize and restore their energy as well as enable Shinigami stationed in Human World to interact with Humans. Having experimented with Gigai at length, Urahara has created its many variations designed for various purposes.
- Energy-sucking Gigai: An untraceable Gigai which drains the user's spiritual power instead of restoring it, effectively making them Human if used long enough. It was developed for the purpose of hiding Hōgyoku forever and given to Rukia. Akon noted that this Gigai was so advanced that nobody in the current SRDI would have been able to create it.
- Portable Gigai: An inflatable variation used as a decoy in combat. With an adequate level of skill and right timing the user can fool even a high-level combatant like Aizen.
- Human Shell Gigai: A Gigai created for the purpose of helping Hollowfied Quincy souls. If a Shinigami enters this Gigai, they become a Human-Shinigami hybrid, and with the help of a special Reishi string which binds the souls, they can enter the Quincy's inner world to protect them from the Hollow inside. The side effects are an inability to leave the Gigai or use Shinigami powers at all. There is also a huge risk of losing Shinigami powers entirely.
- Soul-Object Integration: Urahara has developed the technique to bury matter within a soul. The matter can be removed by disintegrating the soul around the object or by breaking down the soul's cohesion, allowing the object to be removed without any damage to the soul. He used this technique to hide the Hōgyoku in Rukia's body, and the latter technique allowed Aizen to remove it from there without killing her.
- Reiatsu-Concealing Cloak: Urahara has created a cloak which hides his spiritual pressure, which he used to sneak up on Aizen during the Hollowfication of the soon-to-be Visored and to sneak up on Ichigo after he lost his Fullbring. As demonstrated by Aizen, by incorporating Kidō into the cloak, it allows the wearer to blend in with the air around him, almost completely concealed from sight.
- Tenshintai (転神体; lit. "Change [Death] God Body", Viz: "Divine Transfer Body"): An artifact belonging to the Onmitsukidō, but invented and tested by Urahara. It is a vaguely Human-shaped, man-sized doll which forcibly materializes the spirit of a Zanpakutō into the Human World when stabbed by the Zanpakutō. In doing so, it facilitates the user in subjugating the spirit and attaining the Bankai of their Zanpakutō. The materialization can last for about three days, after which the spirit reverts into the doll which spawned it. Without this invention, achieving Bankai takes at least ten years, plus the many years of combat experience needed. This method, however, is very dangerous, due to the fact that it forcibly materializes the Zanpakutō's spirit. Urahara deemed it dangerous to use for more than three days.
- Tenkai Kecchu (転界結柱; World-Shifting Binding-Posts): A device which creates an enormous, one spiritual unit of area radius Senkaimon bound by four linked points. When activated, the device swaps something that it encircles with something else in Soul Society.
- Anti-Hierro Armor: A protective combat armor, designed especially to engage at close-range, with enough durability to smash through an Arrancar's Hierro. It is also rather effective defensively, able to protect the wearer's said body part from damage, even if the armor itself is destroyed in the process.
- Two-Way Holographic Communicator: A special system which allows Urahara to communicate between Soul Society and Hueco Mundo through a holographic display. He installed it in Kon's plushy body. When using it, the top of Kon's head emits the display. The eyes are switches for it, and he can prevent the communication from being shut off by forcing the eyes shut.
- Pero (ペロ): Pero is a small sentient device created by Urahara and given to Orihime, taking the shape of an urn with wings. Pero's main purpose seems to be alerting Urahara in case of any nearby danger with a built in camera.
- Shin'eiyaku (侵影薬, Shadow-Raiding Drugs; Viz "Shadow Infiltration Pills"): A special pill designed to temporarily infuse Hollow reishi into the soul of the target it makes contact with. This will also affect the target's Bankai, even if it is currently removed.
- Deathdealing Vaccine: A drug designed to counteract Askin Nakk Le Vaar's The Deathdealing. By injecting this into the person's skin at the point of contact from Askin's ability, the person will recover from the effects. As Kisuke noted, this formula is still underdeveloped, lasting only about 5 minutes and likewise does not make the person recover completely.
- Shunshin Chōhenge Activator: Knowing of Yoruichi's powerful transformation yet reluctance to use it because of its appearance, Kisuke created a special paper that once removing a tag will force the transformation.