|“||Don't ever forget. Wherever you go, I'm always with you.||„|
|~ Kairi to Sora|
Kairi is one of several original characters appearing in Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep, Kingdom Hearts, Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories and Kingdom Hearts II, and also one of the main characters in the series.
She is the original persona of Naminé. Kairi was born in Radiant Garden and currently lives on Destiny Islands along with her two best friends, Sora and Riku. She is four during Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, fourteen during Kingdom Hearts and fifteen during Kingdom Hearts II. Kairi's name is derived from the Japanese word for "sea" (海 Kai), though her full name is homophonous with the word for "nautical mile" (海里 Kairi).
Powers and Stats
Origin: Kingdom Hearts
Age: 15 (As of KHll and after)
Classification: Friend of Sora and Riku, Princess of Heart, Keyblade wielder in training, One of the Seven Guardians of Light
Powers and Abilities: Capable of wielding a keyblade, Can sense and push back darkness, Can upgrade other people's abilities like the other Princesses of Hearts, Has the power to open the Final Keyhole leading to Kingdom Hearts.
Attack Potency: Unknown (Capable to taking down a couple of shadow heartlesses, her potential was great enough to be sent to Yen Sid in order to become stronger and ready for the upcoming battles ahead)
Speed: Normal Human
Lifting Strength: Regular Human
Striking Strength: Unknown
Range: Standard melee range. Extended melee range with keyblade.
Standard Equipment: Destiny's Embrance, her personal main weapon
Intelligence: Fairly competent at wielding a keyblade
Weaknesses: Has yet to be fully capable of wielding her keyblade, does not have much combat experience other than taking out some low level Heartless.
Powers as a Princess of Heart:
Because Kairi is a Princess of Heart, her heart possesses no darkness within it, leading to the unique birth of Naminé when she accidentally gives it to Sora, who later sacrificed himself to restore her heart. Should her heart be lost, her body will remain in a dormant state until it returns, as revealed in the first game when her heart was lost.
- Like the other princesses, she has the power to open the Final Keyhole to Kingdom Hearts in Hollow Bastion once she is gathered with the rest of the princesses. This could be considered as the princesses' main power.
- Kairi also appears to have some kind of latent magical ability, as seen when she manages to restore Sora's humanity after he becomes a Heartless. However, it could imply that she is only able to restore him because they share the strongest connection.
- Since the other Princesses of Heart possess the abilities to hold back darkness and upgrade other people's powers, it is no doubt that Kairi can do so as well.
- Aqua cast a charm on Kairi in Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep so that if she was ever captured by darkness, her light would lead her to the light of another. In an interview, Tetsuya Nomura stated it was this charm that led Kairi to Destiny Islands.
- She additionally has the ability to sense darkness, as the other Princesses of Heart are able to tell Sora of a great darkness nearby. It may also imply to why she was looking ill when Destiny Islands was devoured by the darkness before she disappeared.
- In the manga, according to Axel, Kairi is able to travel through the Corridor of Darkness without any negative effects because she is a Princess of Heart.
Kairi is able to wield a Keyblade due to her having touched Aqua's Keyblade many years prior to the events of Kingdom Hearts. Kairi's abilities in combat are limited. Kairi cannot do much when she is in danger—she has to depend on Sora or Riku to come to her aid, and as such, she is fairly easily captured. This is seen when Axel merely grabbed Kairi by the wrist and effortlessly dragged her along with him; though, in the manga, she is shown to be more aggressive and tries to put up a fight, throwing punches at Nobodies and biting Axel's hand. During the events that take place in The World That Never Was, Riku hands her Destiny's Embrace, allowing Kairi to protect herself without any help. She is shown to be fairly competent with it, and was shown to take out two Heartless on her own in one cutscene. Her potential is recognized by Yen Sid, who has Riku bring her to him to begin training with the Keyblade to become stronger.
Note: Kairi is currently undergoing training with Yen Sid in order to master her Keyblade, meaning her stats are likely to change depending what happens when KHlll comes out and shows her potential.