|“||Screw you. I'm purebred human, right down to the bone. Don't mistake me for one of you freaks.||„|
Guts (ガッツ, Gattsu) also known as The Black Swordsman, The One Hundred-Man Slayer and The Struggler was the former raid unit leader of a mercenary group known as the Band of the Hawk and is the main protagonist of Berserk.
Powers and Stats
Tier: At least 9-A, likely higher | 8-B | 8-B
Name: Guts, "The Black Swordsman", "Struggler", "Hundred-Man Slayer", Commander of the Hawk's Raiders
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, and a Master Swordsman | Can attack the Soul | Enhanced Physical Stats, Pain Tolerance and Night Vision via the Berserker Armor, and Resistance to Possession
Attack Potency: At least Small Building level, likely higher (Can physically contend with Wyald's human form; was able to choke him out in his apostle form, survived the Eclipse, wounding or killing several apostles) | City Block level (Able to fight various beings who can harm him) | City Block level (Managed to wound Apostle Grunbeld)
Speed: Hypersonic (Can do battle against Wyald) | Hypersonic with High Hypersonic+ combat and reaction speeds (Not only has he been able react to Rosine charging towards him mere inches away, he has also defeated Serpico in various duels) | Hypersonic with High Hypersonic+ combat and reaction speeds (Has been able to evade lightning)
Striking Strength: At least Small Building Class, likely higher | City Block Class | City Block Class
Durability: At least Small Building level, likely higher (Survived an onslaught of attacks from Wyald's apostle form) | City Block level (Is able to withstand multiple lightning bolts from Ganishka, which has a power of 5 Gigajoules or 1.2 Tons of TNT; Muzgus God's Breath, which is this powerful and attacks from Zodd's apostle form). City Block level with Dragon Slayer (Was able to withstand Schierke's Fire Wheel, can also withstand the counterforce of Guts' strikes) | City Block level (Through it breaks bones, and tears apart muscles from his own attacks)
Stamina: Extremely high, was able to fight against one hundred men and endured a long drawn out battle with Wyald (An apostle) | Significantly higher, is able to withstand attacks from Apostles and keep fighting, He is even willing to be injured by his enemies to gain an advantage in battle | Will only stop fighting when the last drop of his blood is spilled
Range: 2.04 meters with the Dragon Slayer (The Dragon Slayer has been stated to be longer than Guts' body), multiple meters with cannon arm, 70+ meters with his Repeater Crossbow
- Dragon Slayer: This weapon was built with the singular purpose of being able to slay a dragon; when you take into consideration its feats such as being able to withstand blows from apostles traveling at supersonic speeds, surviving an explosion which resulted in the vaporization of a water snake's head and remaining intact despite Guts's rough usage of it. Due to this weapon being tempered in the malice of thousands of the dead it has gained the ability to attack the ethereal body.
- Repeater Crossbow: A crossbow mountable to Guts' prosthetic arm, capable of firing arrows rapidly. It is mainly used for fighting a horde of enemies.
- Hand Cannon: One of the few long range weapons Guts has. It can be morphed out of Guts' right hand and is quite powerful, being able to blast through Apostles with little effort. Guts also uses the hand cannon's recoil to propel himself foward whilst swinging the Dragon Slayer, enhancing his velocity.
- Berserker Armor: A cursed suit of incredibly durable armor that removes the body's subconscious limiters, allowing the wearer to achieve incredible feats of strength and speed that are far beyond what they're normally capable of. It also keeps wounds from slowing Guts down, forcibly relocating joints, reinforcing broken bones, and binding flesh to bone with barbs. However, it does not actually mend wounds, meaning that Guts will still be bleeding out from particularly severe wounds. In addition, it strips the user of whatever sanity they once had putting them into a constant state of bloodlust. Bloodlust so potent that Schrieke was unable to possess him.
- Guts also carries a number of spare weapons, including various throwing knives and miniature grenades.
Intelligence: Guts is an infamously skilled swordsman, being able to take on most apostles and humans with his casual swings alone thanks to the enormous heft of the Dragon Slayer. Guts is an able thinker and a pragmatic fighter, a fact he proves by solving problems with his wits when brute force doesn't work, such as when he used an enemy as bait by disguising them with his cloak, played dead to get close enough to fire a point-blank Hand Cannon, and adapting to exceedingly unfavorable situations. Contrary to popular belief Guts is quite clever, as shown when he uses his scientific knowledge. Such as utilizing Dragon Slayer against lightning and puncturing the Sea God's stomach to take advantage of the difference in air pressure in order to get vacuumed within another part of its body.
Weaknesses: Bloodthirsty and sadistic to a fault at times, the Berserker Armor does not mend wounds, only delaying the effects of damage taken rather than replenishing his vitality
Key: Golden Age | Black Swordsman | Berserker Armor
Note: While there are claims that Dragonslayer negates durability, this is not true, nor does it outright negate regeneration. Its power is more along the lines of creating wounds that will never fully recover, and even if healed or regenerated, will open up again. This isn't full regeneration negation, but can somewhat function as such when it comes to larger, more debilitating injuries.