Golden Darkness (金色の闇 Konjiki no Yami), mostly referred to by other characters as Yami, is a major character in To Love-Ru and has increased importance as a character in To Love-Ru Darkness. She is a lonely assassin who is initially hired by Lacospo, one of Lala's arranged suitors, to kill Rito Yuuki. But when Lacospo effectively annuls the job, she decides to take her time and, under the pretense of still needing to complete her mission to kill Rito, stays on Earth. As she spends more time on Earth, she builds a very strong relationship with Rito's mature younger sister, Mikan Yuuki and to Rito himself, to whom it is very possible that she developed feelings for (Chapter 158 of the manga; In "To Love Ru Darkness" Chapters 001 and 002, Momo realizes that Yami is attracted to Rito).
In To Love-Ru Darkness, Yami becomes one of the main characters. This is because there is a group that wants her to join them as the heartless assassin she once was. Her "sister", Mea Kurosaki (a transformation weapon of the same program that created Yami) and a mysterious figure known as Nemesis, arrive to the Earth to take her away and revive the old heartless/murdering self that she once was.
Powers and Stats
Tier: High 8-C | At least 5-B, likely higher
Name: Golden Darkness (Real Name: Eve), Yami-chan (Alias)
Origin: To Love-Ru
Age: 24,000 Kurosu years old according to the anime (In document age 24), manga implied age 14-15
Classification: Assassin, Transformation Weapon
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman strength, speed, and durability, Shapeshifting, Body Control, Hair Manipulation, Flight | Same abilities but enhanced to a bigger extent, with additional ability to create wormholes, energy-based weapons and Matter Manipulation (Via transferring her Transform Ability into matter; created several clones of Rito made of water and a big golem of rock)
Attack Potency: Large Building level (Destroyed Sainan High School in her clash with Lala. Matched and beated Zastin) | At least Planet level (Cut a planet in two in an imperfect state, and was stated by Mea to have used energy enough to destroy 2 or 3 planets in her beam struggle with Lala), likely higher (Stated by herself to be more serious against Black that when she fought Lala, implying that she has more power to show)
Lifting Strength: At least Class 5 (Can swing around her weapons with no difficulty. Comparable to Zastin) | Unknown
Durability: Large Building level (Survived her clash with Lala that destroyed Sainan High School) | At least Planet level, likely higher (Uninjured after her clash with Black, which left him with several injuries)
Stamina: High (Managed to fight Lala without getting tired at all) | Very High (Even the first time she used this transformation, Yami managed to fight and defeated both Mea and Lala and later, once she controlled the transformation, defeated Black too without any sings of exhaustion during all this fights)
Range: Melee Range to Several meters | Likely Planetary. Unknown via Wormholes.
Standard Equipment: None notable in combat.
Intelligence: Above Average (Has seemingly proven herself to be an excellent tactician, as shown from observing her opponents and finding any sort of weakness, such as being knowledgeable of the Demon Sword, Bladix, at first sight or single-handedly finding out the rough alien Khameleon at the Tenjouin beach resort like a detective, due to reading too many detective mangas, as pointed out by Mikan)
Weaknesses: If she uses her power excessively, the nanomachines in her body overheat, leaving her extremely weak and unable to move and causing her to pass out (Although she only showed this weakness once, meaning that maybe she surpassed this problem). Coming into contact with slimy things makes her faint | The Darkness transformation can be undone if Rito willingly does perverted things to her (Although now she showed to be able to control the transformation and revert it by her own). Once she uses the darkness transformation, her abilities will not work for 2-3 days.
Transformation Ability: Golden Darkness' signature ability is her transformation ability otherwise known as the Trans-ability. This ability allows her to turn almost any part of her body into almost any animate objects (preferably weapons or tools used for combat) or reshape the size and figure of her body. The nanomachines that circulate through her body allow her to do this. A downside to her powers is that if she uses her power excessively, the nanomachines in her body overheat, leaving her extremely weak and unable to move and causing her to pass out.
Yami considers her power to be a "cursed power" and that it can only be used for hurting people, however, she is truly able to use her powers for harmless and trivial purposes with safe precision, such as cutting up Lala's tofu or doing maid work at Saki Tenjouin's mansion.
- Weapon Transformation: This ability gives her the power to change any and all parts of her body into weapons like her hands turning into blades, claws or huge mechanical gauntlets. Yami mostly uses this ability to create weapons from her hair, she has also been shown to create non-weapon objects such a frying pan or even some medical equipment but is still useful against opponents.
- Hair Manipulation: Yami's most notable ability is her control over her hair. She can control its movements, extend its reach and uses it to create giant fists and dragon heads. She can even solidify her hair to form metallic objects like sword blades, metal teeth, battle axe, spiked maces, drills, hammer, wrecking balls. etc. Even a giant shoe that's similar to the ones she wears.
- Body Transformation: Yami is able to change her bodies size and measurements to look more mature and adult-like.
- Partial Animal Transformation: She is also able to change parts of her body into animal-like features that gives her extra capabilities, growing a pair of white feathered wings (black while in her Darkness Form) from her back similar to an angel, to enable her fight. She can also turn her legs into a fish tail similar to a mermaid with gills that lets her breath and swim better underwater.
- Attire Transmogrification: On her "date" with Rito, Yami used her abilities to change her black Gothic outfit into a cute dress, but she said that she can't hold it for very long.
Darkness Transformation: Following Tearju's expulsion from Eden, the scientists affiliated with the group implanted a program called "Darkness" into Yami. Nemesis has stated that this form is a grand weapon of destruction that has the capability to destroy the whole universe. It was also feared by Tearju after Rito and Momo mentioned it to her during the Festival (Darkness Chapter 24). Because the scientists ultimately hated the fact that the universe was heading towards peace, they designed "Darkness" to activate when Yami felt a sense of peace in her heart. The Transformation starts with Yami losing control over her transform ability, in which it started molesting her with her hair. After a while, she is then cocooned by her hair and emerges in a transformed state. In this form, all of Yami's previous abilities are enhanced as well gaining new ones:
- Limitless Transform Ability: According to Nemesis, the Darkness form is what happens when Transform runs amok and removes all of its limits, which she referred to as the Limitless Transform Ability. This ultimately turns Yami from an Anti-personnel weapon into an Anti-planetary weapon.
- Wormholes: Yami can create wormholes with the use of her hair and teleport anything or anyone anywhere, even herself. It is described by Tearju as applying her Transform Abilities on space to displace it.
- Matter Manipulation: Yami is now able to freely control physical matter itself by transferring her Transform Ability into said matter. She has been shown being able to control water and solidify it, creating huge hands and is also able to stand on it. She can also control solid material like creating a wormhole in the ground shaped like a mouth with sharp teeth, and creating and controlling a giant earth statue shaped like Rito.
- Energy based Weapons: Yami can now construct weapons made out of energy.
- Planet Slicer: Yami makes a giant blade of light that is capable to slicing Planet Kiid and had the raw power to destroy 2 to 3 planets. She used it against Lala and Black when clashing with his Railgun.
Expert Hand-To-Hand Combatant: Apart from her alien powers, she also has excellent martial arts skills. Her physical combat skills nearly match her transformation power, meaning that even if her transformation powers were taken away from her, she could still win a fight with just her fighting skill as shown when she beats up the school principal while in Mikan's body only using kicks and punches. She has also shown to be skilled with a regular Katana (though created from her hair).
Enhanced Strength: Yami is shown to have a great amount of strength despite her child-like appearance.
Enhanced Durability: Yami is able to withstand heavy attacks like a direct hit from a laser from Lala's tail.
Enhanced Agility and Reflexes: Yami has really good athletic skills, capable of doing somersaults, leaping over buildings and dodging certain impacts, but is still unable to dodge Rito's clumsiness, who always seems to manage to stumble upon her regardless.
Key: Yami/Golden Darkness | Darkness Transformation