|“||If you were to turn into a snake tomorrow and begin devouring humans, and from the same mouth you started devouring humans, you cried out to me 'I love you,' would I still be able to say 'I love you' the same way I do today?||„|
|~ Gin to Rangiku|
Gin Ichimaru (市丸 ギン, Ichimaru Gin) was the captain of the 3rd Division of the Gotei 13 until he betrayed Soul Society, alongside Sōsuke Aizen and Kaname Tōsen. His lieutenant was Izuru Kira. He formerly served as the lieutenant of the 5th Division under Sōsuke Aizen and the 3rd Seat of the 5th Division under Shinji Hirako.
Powers and Stats
Tier: 7-A, higher with Bankai
Name: Ichimaru Gin
Age: At least 110 years old
Classification: Shinigami, Former Captain of the 3rd Division, Commander of Aizen's Arrancar Army
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Spiritual awareness, Spiritual Energy projection, Expert Swordsmanship, Teleportation, Hand-to-Hand Combatant, Pseudo-Flight, Shunpo Master (Speed enhancement technique), Kidō Practitioner (Shinigami spells), Poison Manipulation, Durability Negation, and Can interfere with his opponent's senses
Attack Potency: Mountain level+, higher with Bankai (Effortlessly matched Ichigo, cut apart a portion of Karakura Town and pierced Post-Chrysalis Aizen's chest with his Bankai. As a Commander of Sosuke Aizen's Arrancar army, he should not be weaker than any of its Arrancar members, including the likes of Starrk). The poison of his Bankai ignores conventional durability (Capable of killing Post-Chrysalis Aizen, if not for the protection from Hogyoku)
Speed: Massively Hypersonic+ via power-scaling (Superior to Masked Ichigo, who was struggling to keep up with him), higher attack speed with Bankai
Lifting Strength: At least Superhuman
Striking Strength: Mountain Class+
Durability: Mountain level+ (Tanked a Getsuga Tenshō from Bankai Ichigo and only had a superficial wound on his forehead. It took two slashes from Butterfly Aizen to finish him off, though this is more of an endurance feat)
Stamina: Very high. Fought Ichigo without breaking a sweat while fooling around. Being a Shinigami whose power is above that of an average Captain-class and in the physical prime for a Shinigami, his stamina must be vastly superhuman. Significantly weaker characters can fight for days without rest and continue fighting with wounds that would be fatal to even the hardiest of humans, such as crushed internal organs.
Range: 13 kilometres
Standard Equipment: His Zanpakutō, Shinsō, Reiatsu Concealing Cloak
Intelligence: Highly manipulative and deceptive (In his battle with Hitsugaya, Gin was able to manipulate the positions of three people so Hitsugaya would have to choose between saving his own life or Hinamori's without any visible effort), capable of simple deception by having his opponent focus on one thing to hide the true threat
Weaknesses: None notable
Feats: Gin was the only one capable of discovering the weakness of Aizen's Kyoka Suigetsu to avoid his Complete Hypnosis.
Genius Intellect: When Gin was younger, he was hailed as a child genius. He was highly proficient in his classes at the Shinigami Academy, and he graduated in one year. His skill was already evident at a young age when he gained a seated position in the 5th Division shortly after graduating, ultimately surpassing the previous child prodigy Kaien Shiba, who was already an adult and had taken five years to become a seated officer. Gin has shown himself to be highly manipulative and deceptive. He comes out unscathed due to the calm confusion he plays at, which is a testament to his overall strategy. In his battle with Tōshirō Hitsugaya, Gin was able to manipulate the positions of three people so Hitsugaya would have to choose between saving his own life or Hinamori's without any visible effort. He is capable of simple deception by having his opponent focus on one thing while hiding the true threat. Gin's ingenious mind allowed him to elaborately plot his attempt to assassinate Aizen for over 100 years, managing to be the sole person to persuade Aizen in revealing Kyōka Suigetsu's weakness, hiding his Bankai's true aspect and appearing to betray Soul Society simply for this one goal, and would have succeeded were it not for the unexpected factor of the Hōgyoku returning to Aizen.
- Psychological Warfare: Gin is a master at toying with his opponent's mind, even those with strong resolve and weakening it.
Shunpo Expert: After his battle with Tōshirō Hitsugaya, Gin used an impressive Flash Step to retreat. He was also able to fight on even grounds and keep up with Ichigo while the latter was using his Bankai.
Great Spiritual Power: Gin possesses captain-level Reiryoku. Gin, without any visible effort, easily incapacitated Chad, Orihime, Uryū, Makizō, and Ganju with his Reiatsu just by facing their general direction.
Expert Fighter and Tactician: Gin has shown the skill to take up close quarter fighting with Bankai Ichigo even while his Zanpakuto is suited for long range combat, toying around with Ichigo while doing so. He has also shown to be able to keep calm and use ones psychological state to his advantage during a fight. He has also been shown to be one of the very few people in the series to get the better of Aizen, plotting against him for over 100 years waiting for the opportunity to take him down.
Reiatsu Concealing Cloak: A cloak created by Urahara which hides the wearer's spiritual pressure. By incorporating Kidō into the cloak, Aizen states it allows the wearer to blend in with the air around them, almost completely concealing them from sight. Gin used this cloak to accompany Aizen when he struck Isshin Shiba down.
Shinsō (神鎗, God Spear; Viz "Sacred Spear"): It looks like an ordinary wakizashi. The hilt is light-blue with a tsuba made of two slim swirls of metal looping around the blade to make an open oval, resembling an "S".
- Shikai: It is triggered by the phrase "Shoot to kill" (射殺せ, Ikorose).
Shikai Special Ability: In its Shikai, Shinsō's blade glows white and extends at high speed to impale Gin's opponents from a distance. The blade also carries tremendous force when extending, as seen when Gin pushes both Ichigo Kurosaki and the giant Jidanbō out from under the Seireitei gate, despite the latter being firmly braced under it. In addition, Gin can maintain the extension and swing the activated Shinsō in wide arcs, attacking multiple targets quickly and simultaneously. Shinsō's maximum length is equivalent to one hundred times its original length, earning it the nickname Hyapponzashi (百本差し, Hundred-span) when Gin was younger.
Bankai: Kamishini no Yari (神殺鎗, God-Killing Spear): In its Bankai form, Gin's Zanpakutō does not change in appearance at all, retaining its small wakizashi form.
Bankai Special Ability: Gin's Bankai's abilities are essentially the same as his Shikai's, but its force, cutting power, length and speed are vastly amplified to the point where Gin is capable of swiftly cutting an entire town in half with a single slash while standing a great distance away. As Kamishini no Yari, Gin claims that his sword can extend itself up to 13 km (8.1 miles) at 500 times the speed of sound: exactly 171,500 meters per second in order to arrive at its full length in under 0.08 seconds, which makes it not the longest Zanpakutō, but the fastest. The blade can also retract to its normal size at the same rate. Because the blade's extension and contraction speed is a highly dangerous ability, Gin tends to downplay its speed whenever he talks about his Zanpakutō, and instead focuses on the length and power of the blade in order to gain a psychological advantage over his opponent. However, Gin has also stated that his Bankai is not as fast or as long as he originally claimed, but he hasn't elaborated on this statement further to determine what he is specifically referring to.
- Korose, Kamishini no Yari (殺せ, 神殺鎗, Kill, God-Killing Spear): Kamishini no Yari's true ability, as well as its deadliest aspect, is not based on its length or speed, but rather its ability to turn into dust for just a second when it expands and contracts. There is a deadly poison inside the blade that dissolves and breaks down cells. He can leave a sliver of his Zanpakutō in an opponent when he retracts Kamishini no Yari, allowing him to kill an opponent at any time he chooses to. He does so by uttering the technique name while placing his hand up to the target, which causes the target to completely break down and dissolve at the cellular level from the inside out.
- Butō (無踏, No/Null Step): By adopting a stance where he firmly grips Kamishini no Yari with both hands and places the Zanpakutō's hilt squarely on the center of his chest, Gin is able to utilize the tremendous extension and contraction properties of his Bankai to an even more terrifying extent than its normal state. This occurs in the form of a piercing maneuver where the extension and contraction of the blade becomes almost completely unseen to even the most diligent of observers.
- Butō: Renjin (無踏連刃, No/Null Step: Serial Blade): This ability repeats the action of extending and subsequently contracting Kamishini no Yari, as observed within the technique Butō, multiple times in rapid succession. The entirety of this process is completed in a mere moment, resulting in the individual steps involved in this technique becoming virtually indistinguishable from each other, generating an apparent mass of blades that leave little opportunity for the intended victim to evade successfully.
Kidō Practitioner: Gin's actual skill level in Kidō is unknown, but he was able to teleport himself and Aizen a considerable distance using "Sentan Hakuja". He was also able to cast "Hakufuku" on Rangiku Matsumoto, preventing Sōsuke Aizen from perceiving her Reiatsu.
- Sentan Hakuja: (千反白蛇, Thousand-Coil White Snake): A long, white piece of cloth is spun around to incorporate targets within its coils. As the cloth tightens, with a white flash, it teleports the targets to another location.
- Hakufuku: (白伏, White Crawl): When this technique is used, the target sees the illusion of purple cherry blossoms falling around them. Their vision then begins to blur and becomes unfocused as their consciousness becomes muddled, disoriented, and confused. Shortly thereafter, the target blacks out altogether, losing consciousness, only to awaken with an unclear memory of what occurred.