Eragon Bromsson (named Shadeslayer after killing Durza) was the main protagonist in the Inheritance Cycle. He was the son of Brom and Selena. After the dragon Saphira hatched for him, Eragon became the first Dragon Rider to be born in a hundred years and was subsequently trained by Brom and later Oromis. After becoming an accomplished swordsman and magician in a relatively short time, the young Rider found himself championing the cause of the Varden, inheriting both the duties of the Dragon Riders' and his father's place as Galbatorix's foremost enemy.
Eragon was also the frequent traveling companion of the elven princess Arya, the Dwarven king Orik, the Lady Nasuada, as well as being the half-brother of the Dragon Rider Murtagh Morzansson and the cousin of the great warrior Roran Stronghammer. He was also named an Elf Friend and as a full member of Dûrgrimst Ingeitum, effectively binding him to more races than any other Rider in history.
After many bloody battles and much heartache, the Varden and their allies finally attacked Galbatorix at Urû'baen and Eragon fought his greatest enemy once and for all. After defeating Murtagh in single combat, having Murtagh betray the dark king directly afterwards, Eragon fought Galbatorix head on and overpowered the ancient enemy of his order by casting an Empathy Spell on him. Feeling all the pain, suffering, and misery he had caused over the last hundred years Galbatorix was driven to commit suicide, destroying a part of his palace and nearly killing Eragon and his companions in the process.
Afterward, both Alagaësia and Eragon were finally allowed to live in peace and freedom.
Powers and Stats
Tier: At least 9-B physically. At least 8-B with magic | High 7-A
Name: Eragon Shadeslayer, Eragon Bromson, Firesword, Argetlam, Shur'tugal, The Last Free Rider, Son of None, Bane of the Ra'zac, Morzansson, Elf Friend, Kingkiller, Grand Master of the Dragon Rider order, Leader of the Varden, Vanquisher of Snails, Little One
Origin: Inheritance Cycle
Age: 15 at the start of the series. 17-18 at the end of the series.
Classification: Human/Elf (Hybrid), Human with Elf physiology, Dragon Rider
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Immortality (Type 1), Skilled Swordsman, Adept Archer and Hunter, Indominant Willpower, Limited Precognition, Various Combat skills, Enhanced Senses, Extrasensory Perception, Telepathy, Mind/Memory Manipulation, Mind Control, Magic, Fire Manipulation, Water Manipulation, Ice Manipulation, Telekinesis, Animal Manipulation, Plant Manipulation, Limited Gravity Manipulation, Limited Magnetism Manipulation, Limited Heat Manipulation, Light Manipulation, Energy Projection, Electricity Manipulation, Invisibility, Forcefields, Healing, Limited Biological Manipulation, Sleep Inducement, Matter Manipulation (Mild level), Teleportation (of objects), Enchanting Onbjects, Can absorb Energy from any lower lifeform around him, Immunity against poison and low temperatures (via various spells), Can create a pocket dimension to store his Eldunari, His dragon can funnel energy to him if nearby, Can use reflective surfaces to see people or objects from far away, If he find someone's "true" name he can make them do anything he wants, Able to negate any magic that was created by using the ancient language, Empathic Manipulation, Resistance against Mind Manipulation, Elemental Manipulation
Attack Potency: At least Wall level physically. At least City Block level with magic (Should be comparable to Arya, who stopped the fall of the pieces of the Isidar Mithrim), but depends on his physical condition. Higher with items like Aren | Large Mountain level with magic (Can use magic with enough energy to protect himself and multiple others against Galbatorix's suicide spell). Some of his spells (Twelve Words of Death) can bypass durability of any non-magical being
Speed: At least Subsonic (Even the weakest elve is many times faster than a peak human, could catch an arrow out of the air, easily dodge multiple arrows, cross a hundred feet in a few seconds, run a mile in a few minutes and move faster than the human eye), possibly higher reactions
Striking Strength: At least Wall level (Broke a sword in two, killed an armed soldier with one punch, punched through a dwarf's shield with relative ease and sent the dwarf behind the shield into the opposite wall, killing him)
Durability: Wall level (Able to take hits from Arya while human) to Small Building level (Can somewhat take hits from Saphira, Shurikan and Thorn). City Block level with protection spells | Large Mountain level with protection spells (protected himself, two dragons and some other people from the explosion caused by Galbatorix suicide)
Stamina: Superhuman, traveled across the Hadric desert for 4 days without any stop or without food, but large use of magic power drains his strength fast
Range: Extended melee range, Several dozen meters with arrows and magic (Magic is affected by distance), Possibly citywide or higher with Telepathy, Countrywide via Scrying
Standard Equipment: Brisingr (His sword) and shield, bow and arrows, Aren (A ring which stores his energy), Jeweled belt of Beloth the Wise (He could draw upon Saphira's strength for added power), Glaedr's heart of hearts, Blue sapphire in the pommel of his new sword Brisingr (That could be used to store excess energy as well), Bag of Eldunari, Armor
Intelligence: While a brave fighter, he was always asking questions, always seeking to learn more. It didn't seem to matter what it was, he always wanted to learn about anything. Eragon was a quick learner, becoming literate and an advanced swordsman in a very short period of time. However, he was often hasty, lightheaded, and impulsive though he improved upon the last two traits. He was also known to lose his temper and let his frustration get the better of him. In Inheritance, Eragon seemed wiser and more sure of himself. After discovering his True Name he understood himself and accepted who he was, which Arya noticed. This new wisdom was shown when he ensured future peace between all the races by adding Dwarves and Urgals to the Dragon Riders. He also made sure that the Urgals would no longer attack the other races for glory by creating games of strength in which young Urgals could compete against the other races.
Weaknesses: His magic is cast from physical life force, setting a clear limit on his magical attacks and defenses, which means that large use of magic drains his stamina fast and his level of power depends on his physical condition
Killed the Shade Durza (Only four people in the history of Alagaësia have ever killed a Shade and lived, thus being granted the title "Shadeslayer.")
Killed the last remaining Ra'zac, an ancient race of insect like monsters that fed on humans
"Killed" Galbatorix by casting an empathy spell on him, which drove the king so mad, he ended up using a suicide spell
Knocked out 12 Urgals (man-like beasts who are over 8 feet tall) with one word
Easily stopped a flock of arrows with one word and deflected them into the ground
Able to fire thirty arrows in a minute and stab twenty times a second with Brisingr
Easily killed an armed soldier with one punch
Punched through a dwarf's shield with relative ease and sent the dwarf behind the shield into the opposite wall, killing him
Outspared one of the best elven duelists in Du Weldenvarden and defeated Murtagh in a duell
His ring Aren contains enough energy to tear down an entire castle
Is in posession of 136 Eldunari, who posess slightly more energy than Galbatorix suicide spell (which is comparable to a very powerful nuke)
Created a spells on Sloan to make him walk all the way to Du Weldenvarden from Helgrind (through a huge desert and across many miles), makes him walk all the way there without allowing him to change course or else an itch will start and grow, and allows animals to come give him aid when he needs it
- Magic: Magic in Inheritance works by the principle that spells consume physical strength. Each spell consumes as much strength as it would need to achieve the task with conventional methods. In order to use the magic one says what one wants to achieve in the ancient language, but alternatively one can also simply think what is supposed to happen and it will happen. Since the effects of magic are only limited by one's imagination and power it is a highly effective tool. Some of the ways people were killed using magic is by stopping the targets heart, breaking their neck and stopping the blood flow into the brain.
- Brisingr: Eragon infuses his weapons with fire, causing more damage
- Twelve Words of Death: Targets and stops critical parts of the opponent's body, effectively killing the target. Each of this methods does not use more physical power than lifting a feather.
- Protection spells: Eragon has a wide array of protection spells, which automatically activate to stop any damage, no matter whether from physical attack or magic. But by the laws of Magic, the spells should use up as much power to fend off an attack, as the initial attack had.
- Name of Names: The Name of the ancient language. It enables him to detect spells, which were made using the ancient language, and nullify them. It is also able to change the name something has in the ancient language.
- Teleportation spell: A spell that instantly moves an object from one place to another. The interesting thing about this spell is that neither the distance nor the amount of things one wants to transport changes the energy required to use the spell. The spell shouldn't be used to transport living beings as it can severely damage them.
- Eldunari: Stones that contain the soul of a dragon. Each of the dragons can strengthen Eragon's telepathic abilities with its own and each of them contains slightly more energy than the dragon had when it was still alive. Eragon possesses 136 of them.
- Absorbing energy: Eragon can (forcefully) absorb energy from any living being (humans, plants, animals, microbes) he has telepathic contact with and can use this energy for spells. Draining someone from energy is also an effective method to kill them.
- Telepathic Attacks: Eragon can read the thoughts and memories of the living beings around him, send information over to them by telepathic means or take control of their body. He can either focus on just one or a certain group of entities or just hold contact to all beings in several kilometers range (for example in a whole city) at once.
Key: Base | With Eldunari