|“||Final report of the commercial starship Nostromo, third officer reporting. The other members of the crew — Kane, Lambert, Parker, Brett, Ash and Captain Dallas — are dead. Cargo and ship destroyed. I should reach the frontier in about six weeks. With a little luck, the network will pick me up. This is Ripley, last survivor of the Nostromo, signing off.||„|
|~ Ripley (from Alien)|
Lieutenant First Class Ellen Louise Ripley was a civilian adviser to the United States Colonial Marine Corps and a hugely influential figure in humanity's encounters with the species Xenomorph XX121. Beginning her career as a warrant officer with Weyland-Yutani's commercial freight operations, she was assigned to the USCSS Nostromo in 2122 when it encountered a single Xenomorph unintentionally collected from the planetoid LV-426. The event led to the death of the rest of her crew and the destruction of the ship, and her discovery of the Xenomorph would change the course of her life and plague her for the rest of her existence.
Later promoted to Lieutenant First Class and attached to the Colonial Marines as a civilian adviser, she would go on to have several more encounters with the creatures over the following decades, before eventually giving her life on Fiorina "Fury" 161 to put an end to the Alien menace once and for all. Her exploits ensured that she was well-known among groups and individuals that dealt with the Xenomorph for decades, even centuries, after her death.
|“||I'm the monster's mother.||„|
|~ Ripley 8 (from Alien Resurrection)|
Ripley 8, also known as Number 8, was the eighth and first fully successful clone of Ellen Ripley created by the United Systems Military aboard the USM Auriga. Although she was essentially no more than a by-product of the top-secret USM project to resurrect the Xenomorph XX121 species, the scientist in charge of the program, Dr. Wren, ultimately elected to keep her alive for study. Ripley 8 subsequently became involved in the Xenomorph outbreak and infestation aboard the Auriga.
While outwardly human, cross-contamination of DNA between Ripley 8 and the Xenomorph inside her endowed Ripley 8 with several Xenomorph attributes; essentially, she was neither human nor alien, but something in between. She was one of four survivors of the Auriga incident, along with Dom Vriess, Johner and the Auton Annalee Call.
Powers and Stats
Name: Ellen Ripley | Ripley 8, Number 8
Age: Biologically she was 30 years old at the time of death, but chronologically (due being in hypersleep at the end of the first movie) she was 87 at the time of death. | 1-2
Classification: Human, Warrant Officer (formerly), Lieutenant 1st Class | Clone, Human-Xenomorph Hybrid
Powers and Abilities: Athlete level strength, speed and reactions, Peak Human durability, Expert in firearms and explosives, Have flamethrowers, Can survive in outer space (with compression suit), Expert survivalist, Very good at improvising, Very good in stealth, Spaceship piloting, Superhuman Strength and Durability (with Power Loader), Statis via hypersleep chamber (which involves lowering the body's core temperature considerably by freezing and the use of drugs injected into the body, or a viscous liquid when in operation, can last for decades) | Reinforced Nails, Acidic blood, Minor telepathy, Growths (Alien "horns"), Immunity to physical pain and acidic blood, Physical prowess, greatly enhanced strength (Able to rip Facehuggers off, could rip apart hardened steel plate doors), Regeneration (High-Low), Superior senses, Alien empathy, Genetic memory, Longevity, Energy and electric shock (with Pulse Rifle)
Attack Potency: Athlete level, Small Building level with the weapons of the Colonial Marines (Can easily kill red-shirt Aliens like the Drones and Warriors), Wall level with the Power Loader | At least Wall level, Building level with the weapons of the United Systems Military (Shockrifles, Double Draco Burners, etc)
Speed: Peak Human, Supersonic attack speed with weapons | At least Superhuman (Can dodge attacks from Xenomorphs), Supersonic+ to Massively Hypersonic+ attack speed with weapons
Lifting Strength: Above Average human, Class 5 with the Power Loader | Unknown
Striking Strength: Athlete Class, Small Building Class with the Power Loader | At least Wall Class
Durability: Street level (Took a few punches from several Xenomorphs and despite being injured she survived), Small Building level with the Power Loader | Building level (Survived a shock from a Lacrima 99 Shockrifle, cited as being stronger than Lightning)
Stamina: High | Capable of jumping long distances, and of sprinting and/or otherwise physically exerting herself for extended periods of time with little sign of tiring. Capable of holding her breath for far longer than any normal human.
Range: Dozens of meters with weapons
Standard Equipment: Ripley's Pulse Rifle (M41A Pulse Rifle + U1 Grenade Launcher + M240 Incinerator Unit), harpoon gun, pistols, machine guns, shotguns, compression suit, Caterpillar P-5000 Work Loader | knife, Lacrima 99 Shockrifle, Draco Double Burner
Intelligence: Above average | Ripley 8 was endowed with superior intellect and mental skills when compared to the original Ripley — from the moment she was cloned, Ripley 8 was able to comprehend foreign languages that Ellen Ripley had never been able to speak, including Arabic and Japanese. She also possessed memories from Ellen Ripley's life, inherited genetically, similarly to how Xenomorphs pass down knowledge across subsequent generations through their DNA.
Weaknesses: Company loyalty and technological incompetence | Split Psyche
- Survived the USCSS Nostromo Xenomorph encounter.
- Holds the record for longest recorded hypersleep.
- Survived the first Hadley's Hope Xenomorph infestation.
- Killed a Xenomorph Queen.
- Survived USM Auriga Xenomorph infestation.
- Physical appearance: Despite appearing identical to Ellen Ripley at first glance, Ripley 8 possessed several subtle physical differences, most notably metallic green-black fingernails; in the novelization, Ripley 8 tried to bite them short, but they would not yield to her teeth. Also according to script and novelization, the scientists, (Wren), notices that she had four vestigial growths, two on either side of her spine, her body's attempt to grow the Xenomorph's dorsal horns; these vestigial dorsal horns were surgically removed by Wren while she was still growing, (Gediman notes that they did not compromise her development.) The scars where they were, were also shown in the film's storyboard.
- Physical prowess: Ripley 8 was capable of jumping long distances, and of sprinting and/or otherwise physically exerting herself for extended periods of time with little sign of tiring. She was capable of holding her breath for far longer than any normal human. She also had superior physical durability, and an ability to completely ignore physical pain. At one point, she was shown taking a fully charged electrical burst from a Lacrima 99 Shockrifle, a charge powerful enough to take down a full grown rhino, at point blank range to her head, yet the blast merely stunned her. She was later shown taking a set of weights to the face, courtesy of Christie, in the Auriga mess hall. Despite getting a bleeding nose from the blow, Ripley 8 was otherwise unaffected. In the novelization, an unprepared Ripley 8 takes a blow to the head with a pipe courtesy of Larry Purvis when they first meet; Ripley 8 is unfazed, "as if a major head blow like that was just something you shook off".
- Inhuman strength: Ripley 8 demonstrated superior levels of strength when compared to other humans, able to best men larger than her in unarmed combat, rend open hardened steel plate with her bare hands and even tear off a live Facehugger after it attached to her face, a feat not even Yautja or Engineers are capable of.
- Rapid cell regeneration: Another ability bestowed upon Ripley 8 by her Xenomorph genes was her ability to rapidly heal from injuries. Most notably, the scarring from her surgery to remove the Queen Chestburster healed almost completely (in the film, it was a matter of three days, whilst in the script and the novelization, it was just a day). In one version of the script, in the mess hall fight scene between Ripley 8, Johner and Christie, Ripley 8 loses a tooth when Christie strikes her — and later, before entering the flooded galley, Ripley 8 reveals that it has regrown. In the novelization, she sheds her skin, like the Aliens, after waking up in her cell, after the surgery to extract the embryonic Queen, the wet and tender skin giving way to a layer of stronger, drier skin.
- Acidic blood: Perhaps the most obvious similarity between Ripley 8 and the Xenomorph was the former's acidic blood. While the blood in Ripley 8 was far less potent than that of Xenomorphs, it was still capable of corroding metal, glass, plastics and other materials over time. It was also red, the same color as normal human blood, instead of green. It is unknown what effect the Xenomorphs' blood would have on Ripley 8 if her skin had ever been exposed.
- Superior senses: Ripley 8 has demonstrated superior senses, such as touch and smell; she was able to feel that the USM Auriga was in motion despite the fact that the ship was running on stealth, and she was able to smell the embryonic Xenomorph gestating within Larry Purvis.
- Psyche: Ripley 8 displayed violent and apathetic behavior beyond what would normally be expected from a human; the two combined made her something of a dangerous predator. Her general outlook and mindset was vicious and bleak, and even her body language hinted at the Xenomorph DNA she possessed, as many of her movements were feral and almost cat-like.
- Alien empathy: Due to her half-Xenomorph genetics, Ripley 8 was able to sense the presence of other Xenomorphs in the immediate vicinity, as well as comprehend their motives and emotions. Like all Xenomorphs, she possessed a particularly strong mental bond with the Queen. In the novelization, it is described that through this very link, Ripley was forced to experience the Queen's labour pains along with her, as the Queen didn't really understand what was happening to it and wanted her mother to coach her through it. She was also forced to experienced the Newborn's death along with it. Also in the novelization, Ripley refers to the Xenomorphs with either the pronouns 'it' or 'them', in reference to their hive mind.
- Intelligence and memory: Ripley 8 was endowed with superior intellect and mental skills when compared to the original Ripley — from the moment she was cloned, Ripley 8 was able to comprehend foreign languages that Ellen Ripley had never been able to speak, including Arabic and Japanese. She also possessed memories from Ellen Ripley's life, inherited genetically, similarly to how Xenomorphs pass down knowledge across subsequent generations through their DNA.
Key: Normal Ripley | Ripley 8