|“||To face me is to face thy deepest, darkest nightmares!||„|
|~ Diabolos to the Warrior of Light in Final Fantasy XIV|
Diabolos is a recurring character in the Final Fantasy franchise, most frequently appearing as an optional boss and summon for the heroes to obtain. He is a demon associated with the power of gravity, darkness, dreams, and sleep, serving as a powerful foe and an equally mighty ally to those able to forge a pact with him.
Powers and Stats
Tier: At least 5-A | At least 5-A, possibly 3-C
Origin: Final Fantasy
Classification: Esper, Terrestial Avatar, Yarhi | Guardian Force
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Flight, Healing, Fire Manipulation, Gravity Manipulation, Darkness Manipulation, Status Effect Inducement, Forcefield Creation, Dream Manipulation, Can speed up time around himself, Can absorb fire attacks to heal himself, Can return a small amount of the damage he takes to his opponent, Can inflict instant death, Can cancel other summons as well as any healing or regenerative effects and abilities
Attack Potency: At least Large Planet level (Serves as a powerful boon to Terra Branford and her allies, even after she obtains her Esper form, and joins her party after she defeats the Kaiser Dragon, Can fight the party of Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy XIV even after they've bested Gilgamesh) | At least Large Planet level, possibly Galaxy level (Is able to fight on par with Squall Leonhart)
Lifting Strength: Unknown
Striking Strength: At least Large Planet Class | At least Large Planet Class, possibly Galactic
Durability: At least Large Planet level (Tanked attacks from Terra's, Vaan's, and Eorzea's Warrior of Light's end-game parties) | At least Large Planet level, possibly Galaxy level (On par with Squall Leonhart)
Stamina: High (Can battle with the heroes' end-game parties in all of his appearances for extended periods of time)
Range: Thousands of kilometers with magic (Should be comparable to other Espers like Terra Branford)
Standard Equipment: None notable
Intelligence: Diabolos is almost always a hermit of sorts, isolating himself from the eyes of mortals due to his immense power and preference for the night. Regardless, he is merciless in battle, crushing foes with his dominion over gravity and using a wide variety of powerful magic to keep his foes at bay. He also manipulates his foes' perceptions and dreams to gain an advantage, generating numerous copies of himself that can also attack and putting his foes to sleep so they cannot fight back.
Weaknesses: Diabolos is more vulnerable to water or wind-based attacks in certain games
- Breakart Pentagram: Diabolos fires a powerful magical attack that attacks the magical contract that binds summoned beings to the plane, banishing them back from whence they came.
- Camisado: Diabolos strikes his target while immediately applying the effects of Gravija to weigh his foe down and crush them.
- Curaga: Diabolos rapidly heals his own wounds with holy energy.
- Curse: Diabolos curses his target, scrambling their mind so they cannot distinguish from foe, nullifying any regeneration or restorative effects, rapidly sapping them of their fighting strength, and poisoning them until they succumb.
- Damage Reflect: Diabolos passively erects a barrier that returns a small amount of the damage he would have taken from an attack back to his opponent.
- Dark Messenger: Diabolos engulfs his foe with dark energy, leaving them with but a sixteenth of their total fighting strength regardless of their resistance to life and death manipulation.
- Force Barrier: Diabolos erects a Magick Wall that nullifies all physical attacks regardless of their potency or technique.
- Gravija: Diabolos rapidly increases the force of gravity across a wide area to crush his foes to the point of harming their internal organs, which is reflected by the massive damage this deals to any affected in-game.
- Haste: Diabolos increases the flow of time around himself, increasing his effective speed and canceling the effects of time slows.
- Nightmare: Diabolos drives all foes' in range into a deep slumber to the point that grievous injury will not awaken them. In addition, darkness-elemental damage will be dealt towards all the foes in range and any opposing attacks will be weakened for as long as Diabolos is present.
- Noctoshield: Diabolos erects a forcefield that increases his resistance to oncoming magical attacks.
- Pavor Nocturnus: Diabolos inflicts instant death onto his foe unless they have resistance to Instant Death, upon which all of their positive status buffs, enchantments, and bonuses will be nullified instead. However, their resistance can be overridden if the target is placed under the effects of Nightmare.
- Pyromania: Diabolos engulfs his foes with massive arcs of fire to deal heavy fire-elemental damage.
- Ruinous Omen: Diabolos deals a random amount of damage to all foes, ignoring conventional durability to deal minor or critical damage depending on his foes' luck.
- Scourge: Diabolos inflicts Sap on all of his foes, rapidly draining them of their fighting strength until they succumb from exhaustion and a lack of life energy.
- Somnolence: Diabolos fires an orb of dark energy that deals darkness-elemental damage and weighs the target down.
- Ultimate Terror: Diabolos' influence lowers all of his foes' parameters significantly for as long as they remain in combat with him.
Key: FFVI, FFXII, and FFXIV | FFVIII