Crescent Rose is Ruby Rose's signature weapon. It is a High-Caliber Sniper-Scythe (HCSS) - a hybrid between a scythe and a sniper rifle. Ruby is first seen wielding it in the "Red" Trailer.
Powers and Stats
Name: Crescent Rose
Classification: High Caliber Sniper Scythe
Wielders: Ruby Rose
Durability: Multi-City Block level
Range: Extended melee range with Crescent Rose, Several dozen meters with sniper rifle
Weaknesses: None Notable
- After Weiss help's Ruby's feet stick to vertical surfaces, Ruby drags a Nevermore up the sheer cliff face, ending the battle by decapitating it with a single sweep of Crescent Rose.
- With assistance from Blake, is able to sever the robotic limb of the most cutting edge military mech in their world, known as the Atlesian Paladin-290
- Effortlessly cuts through a wooden scaffold filled with crates
- When working with Weiss, Ruby is able to add status affects to Crescent Rose's bullets
Crescent Rose's frame is colored rose red with black trims, with its large scythe blade forged into a crescent shape. Ruby's crest is engraved onto the circular swivel frame of the weapon.
The most notable property of Crescent Rose is its converting frame, which allows it to transform between three different modes:
- A "storage" mode, its most compact form convenient for transportation, stored underneath Ruby's cloak at her waist.
- A "rifle" mode, where it takes the form of a medium-length, bolt-action rifle. In this form, the absence of the scythe makes for more effective use of the rifle component.
- A "scythe" mode, its most expanded form, where it fully extends into the form of a scythe, allowing it to be used as a mid-to-close-range bladed melee weapon. This form also doubles as a long-barrel sniper rifle for long-range shots without giving up the melee capabilities of the scythe. If needed, the bottom of the shaft can unfold to add more cutting power in a close-range fight.
In addition, because of the frame's lightweight design, it can freely shift between these three modes quickly and with ease. However, In order to use Crescent Rose to its fullest potential, it is implied that a scythe-wielder of skill equivalent to either Ruby or Qrow Branwen would be necessary. In particular, the user would have to deal with Crescent Rose's massive recoil: rather than compensate for it, Ruby uses the recoil to amplify her overall combat prowess. Ruby also uses the recoil to enhance her mobility in combat; she fires shots to propel herself short distances, using it to simultaneously attack and evade against opponents.
She also uses her weapon's recoil to launch herself further into the air than when she jumps, as demonstrated when she is launched into the air by Weiss Schnee while facing the Nevermore. In melee combat, Ruby can fire a shot immediately before a swing, using the recoil to increase the force and speed of her attack. She can also embed the scythe's blade into the ground to prevent the weapon's recoil from throwing off her aim with the sniper rifle component, allowing for rapid, accurate shots. The scythe also has a small, hook-like, double-pronged, jagged blade at the bottom of the shaft. The scythe can unfold, be allowing for both the normal blade and the two prongs to slice enemies at the same time for more power.
- Cross Clips - A special magazine that gives off a black muzzle flash and is shown to have significantly greater power than the unmarked magazines. This lends her, even more speed and power. With Cross Clips, Ruby is able to use Crescent Rose to propel herself with extraordinary speed before rotating herself axially in midair to execute a devastating spinning slash attack.