|“||It's a lot easier to smack things around with a Holy Sword, you know?||„|
|~ Merlin when asked about his limited use of Magecraft|
Caster is a Caster-class Servant able to be summoned by the protagonist in the Grand Orders of Fate/Grand Order.
Caster's True Name is Merlin (マーリン, Mārin), the Magus of Flowers (花の魔術師, Hana no Majutsu-shi). The son of the Queen of Wales and an incubus, he orchestrated the events leading up to Arturia Pendragon's rise as the King of Camelot and served as one of her closest advisers until the closing years of her reign. He left her service while fleeing from an "evil witch", entering Avalon on the Far Side of the World. However, he later finds himself trapped in a tower that only the innocent may exit, thus being imprisoned for eternity as he had long since transcended death.
Powers and Stats
Tier: At least 7-B physically, possibly 7-A with casual spells, At least High 7-A with Excalibur, Unknown with serious spells
Name: Caster, Merlin
Origin: Fate/Grand Order
Age: Several centuries old (Was alive before Arturia Pendragon was born)
Classification: Caster-class Servant, Magician, Half-Incubus
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Immortality (Types 1 and 2, is unable to die as he has transcended death), Magic, Clairvoyance (Possesses "The Eyes that See Through the World", allowing him to view the past, present, and future as he wishes), Air Manipulation (Created Invisible Air), Energy Projection, Immortality (Type 1), Skilled Swordsman, Can override reality to recreate the Garden of Avalon for a short time, Any ground he walks upon becomes a field of harmless flowers, Soul Manipulation (all Servants can consume souls to replenish their magical energy)
Attack Potency: At least City level physically (Has B-Rank Strength, putting him on par with Saber under Shirou), possibly Mountain level with casual spells (Claims to be comparable to the likes of Solomon and is a candidate to be summoned as Grand Caster), At least Small Island level with Excalibur (Freely wields Excalibur in combat and uses its beam function frequently), Unknown with serious spells (Despite being a "top-tier Caster" and "a magus on par with Solomon" who can easily accomplish things like changing Arturia's gender and arranging for a birth of a child that should have never existed, he bites his tongue during long incantations and thus prefers to use Excalibur)
Speed: Hypersonic+ with High Hypersonic reactions and combat speed (Has E Rank Agility, but can easily use his attacks against other Servants)
Lifting Strength: Superhuman (Even the weakest Servants are ten times stronger than the finest athletes)
Striking Strength: City Class (Has B-Rank Strength)
Durability: At least City level (Can withstand the force of his own blows), Unknown with magecraft
Stamina: Virtually limitless for as long as he has mana
Range: Extended melee range with Excalibur, At least several dozen meters with casual spells, Several kilometers with Excalibur's activation, Unknown with Serious spells
Standard Equipment: His staff and Excalibur
Intelligence: Merlin is one of the most formidable magi to ever live, declaring himself a top-tier Caster on par with the King of Magic, Solomon and a candidate to be summoned as Grand Caster. His skill is such that Rin Tohsaka declares that exceedingly difficult tasks like changing Arturia's gender and arranging for Mordred's birth would be all but simple to him. However skilled he may be, he is also incredibly lazy and often bites his tongue while performing long incantations. He thus frequently prefers to use Excalibur to overpower his foes instead. He is not unskilled in this area either, having served as Arturia's sword instructor well into the early years of her reign.
Weaknesses: Merlin is laid-back, childish, and rarely serious unless the situation is dire. He is somewhat full of himself and enjoys flaunting his superior magical prowess.
Garden of Avalon: The Forever-Sealed Utopia (永久に閉ざされた理想郷ガーデン・オブ・アヴァロン, Gāden obu Avaron: Towa ni Rozasareta Risōkyō) Merlin's Noble Phantasm, in which he reproduces the “tower” where the original Merlin is trapped in as well as its surroundings, as well as its surroundings on the far side of the world. In such a mana-rich environment, Merlin is able to freely utilize his magecraft and Excalibur, while those of the modern age would literally burst upon breathing in this garden's air. In addition, anyone who has sinned cannot escape this area until it falls apart on its own, as only the innocent may pass through its gates.
- Item Construction (道具作成, Dōgu Sakusei): A skill which measures one's ability to manufacture magical items. Merlin only has a C-Rank in this skill as he's too lazy to construct particularly complex or powerful items.
- Territory Creation (陣地作成, Jinchi Sakusei, alternately localized as "Area Creation"): A skill which quantifies one's ability to create a territory advantageous to them as a Magus. Merlin is also too lazy to bother setting up complicated Bounded Fields or Workshops due to being imprisoned in the Garden of Avalon, resulting in a C-Rank in this skill.
- Hybrid (混血, Konketsu): A skill that reflects Merlin's heritage as a half-incubus hybrid. This trait is the source of much of his incredible magical prowess, being far superior to any human magus alive during his time.
- Illusion (幻術, Genjutsu): A skill that reflects one's ability to delude others with illusions. Merlin is an exceedingly skilled practitioner of this art as shown by his A-Rank in this skill, allowing him to project visual projections of one's nightmares in the real world as a matter of course and allowing him to cover an area the size of an entire village in illusions.
- Independent Manifestation (単独顕現, Tandoku kengen) Is a skill that allows Merlin to manifest independently in the current world. Although it is normally exclusive to Beast-class Servants, Merlin was able to give this to himself while he was "playing the part of the Master's Servant", allowing him to manifest himself while pretending to be a summoned Servant. However, this was only possible due to the weakening of Human Order caused by the Singularities.