|“||If you wield your blade without regard for your own life, you will find yourself unable to protect anything.||„|
Byakuya Kuchiki is the 28th head of the Kuchiki Clan, one of the four great noble clans in Soul Society. He is also the captain of the 6th Division in the Gotei 13. Cold and aloof, he is initially completely dedicated to the laws of Soul Society, but becomes more compassionate after his adopted sister, Rukia Kuchiki, is saved from execution by Ichigo Kurosaki.
Powers and Stats
Tier: At least 7-C, likely higher | At least 7-C, likely higher | At least 7-C, likely higher | Likely at least Low 6-B
Name: Kuchiki Byakuya
Age: At least 150 years old
Classification: Shinigami, Captain of the 6th Division, 28th Head of the Kuchiki Family
Powers and Abilities: Superhuman Physical Characteristics, Pseudo-Flight, Master Swordsmanship, Kidō Expert, Forcefield Creation (His Bankai can be used a shield, also can perform Bakudō #81: Dankū), Can sense beings with reiatsu, Afterimage Creation
Attack Potency: At least Town level, likely higher with Bankai (Should not be weaker than Toshiro Hitsugaya. Comparable to Kenpachi Zaraki with his eyepatch on) and Shūkei: Hakuteiken (Matched Bankai Ichigo’s full-powered Getsuga Tenshō) | At least Town level, likely higher with Bankai (Injured R1 Yammy with his Shikai and finished off Zommari with a slash, also severely injured Zommari with Gōkei) and Shūkei: Hakuteiken | At least Town level, likely higher with Bankai and Shūkei: Hakuteiken | Likely at least Small Country level+ (Capable of severely injuring Post-Auswahlen Gerard)
Speed: Massively Hypersonic+ (Can react against Bankai Ichigo even though he can’t keep up with him. Is one of the most proficient practitioners of Shunpo in the Gotei 13 and should therefore be at least this fast. Should also be least as fast as or faster than the likes of Toshiro Hitsugaya) | Massively Hypersonic+ | Massively Hypersonic+ | Massively Hypersonic+ (Superior to the female Sternritter who performed a Massively Hypersonic+ feat)
Lifting Strength: At least Superhuman
Striking Strength: At least Town Class, likely higher with Bankai and Shukei: Hakuteiken | At least Town Class, likely higher with Bankai and Shukei: Hakuteiken | At least Town Class, likely higher with Bankai and Shukei: Hakuteiken | Likely at least Small Country Class
Durability: At least Town level (Withstood a number of attacks, including a Black Getsuga, from partially Hollowfied Ichigo as well as the final clash with Bankai Ichigo), likely higher when using Bankai as a shield (Blocked a number of Getsuga Tenshō from Ichigo) | At least Town level, likely higher when using Bankai as a shield | At least Town level, likely higher when using Bankai as a shield | Likely at least Small Country level+ (Has taken attacks from Gerard)
Stamina: Very High, able to battle competitively for an extended period of time and keep going while sustaining heavy wounds. Able to casually withstand Absolute Zero temperatures. Remained very calm after his fight with As Nodt, having his stomach ripped out and being viciously attacked by his Bankai
Range: Extended melee range normally, several hundred meters with Senbonzakura and Kido spells
Standard Equipment: His Zanpakutō, Senbonzakura, Oken Clothing
Intelligence: A highly perceptive fighter, being able to almost immediately determine an opponent's attack patterns and weaknesses. He is also a crafty tactician, as demonstrated from how effectively he uses his Kidō to confuse his opponents. He can discern the motives and abilities of his opponents and effectively uses his knowledge to end the battle in his favor.
Weaknesses: He usually keeps an 85 centimeter diameter surrounding him where the blades of his Shikai and Bankai won’t travel, so as to protect himself from being injured by them (This isn’t a necessity, though, as he can bring them into that area if he wants), Can be somewhat arrogant at times.
Master Swordsman: Byakuya is a master of swordsmanship, possessing flawless precision and performing lethal attacks with little effort.
Shunpo Master: Byakuya is arguably best known for his skill in Shunpo. Having been taught by, but never beating "Goddess of Flash" Yoruichi Shihōin, he is easily one of the most proficient users of this skill in all of Soul Society. He remained able to use Shunpo after severing the muscles and tendons in his left leg.
- Senka (閃花, Flash Blossom): A Shunpo technique where one, moving to their opponent's back, directly attacks and seals one's "Saketsu" and "Hakusui" in two rapid strikes, effectively cutting them off from their spiritual energy flow. This attack is his favorite to use. The technique is so fast, an opponent may not be able to tell whether they were attacked from the front or the back, and even an outside observer may find it impossible see the movements.
- Utsusemi (空蝉, Cast-Off Cicada Shell): Way of Onmitsu, 3rd of the Shihō. It allows for movement at great speed, leaving an afterimage behind. It is a technique taught to Byakuya by Yoruichi Shihōin.
Senbonzakura (千本桜, Thousand Cherry Blossoms): Senbonzakura is a regular katana. It has a simple cross guard, with an open frame much like a four-pane window. It has a bronze guard, with lavender hilt-wrapping, and a white sheath.
- Shikai: It is triggered by the command "Scatter" (散れ, chire)
Shikai Special Ability: In its Shikai, Senbonzakura's blade separates into a thousand tiny, slender blade fragments, which fly away from the hilt, leaving only the sword's handle in Byakuya's hand. While the blades are supposedly too small to be seen normally, they reflect light in such a way as to resemble cherry blossom petals. By swinging Senbonzakura's hilt, Byakuya can control the blade fragments, allowing him to shred opponents at a distance. The blades can be used for defensive purposes, as they can protect Byakuya from an incoming sword swing. In order to protect Byakuya from his own attacks in both Shikai and Bankai, Senbonzakura possesses a Hurtless Area (無傷圏, mushōken; lit. "Woundless Zone") where it does not cut anything within 85 cm of Byakuya unless he himself allows the blades to enter the area. During Byakuya's training with the Royal Guard, he obtained a finer understanding of his Shikai, granting him greater control and the ability to form more solid constructs at a greater scale.
Bankai: Senbonzakura Kageyoshi (千本桜景厳, Vibrant Display of a Thousand Cherry Blossoms): Byakuya's Bankai is a much larger version of Senbonzakura's Shikai. To activate it, Byakuya drops his sword straight down. The sword phases into the ground, as though it were a pool of water. Energy ripples expand out, turning the surrounding area dark, and within seconds, two rows of a thousand giant blades rise up from the ground. Those thousand swords scatter, and countless flying blades pierce the enemy. No one knows the exact number of blades generated, and no one can dodge or even see the movements of these blades. The number of blades is great enough that Byakuya can simultaneously use them for offense and defense. He commonly forms them into large masses to obliterate opponents instantaneously. As they move through the air like torrents of waves, they give the appearance of cherry blossoms flowing swiftly along the wind. Unlike his Shikai, his Bankai is mentally controlled. While Byakuya can control the blades with his mind alone, using his hands allows him to do so more effectively, making the blades increase in speed threefold. Similar to his Shikai, its attack is triggered with the phrase Scatter.
- Senkei (殲景, Slaughterscape; Viz "Annihilate"): The true form of Senbonzakura. This unites the scattered petals into complete glowing swords, numbering in the thousands, which form four rows. These rows float just above each other, and circle around Byakuya and his opponent in a continuously moving, column-like array. It abandons defense in favor of a concentrated offense. Though visually menacing, this form is not meant for attack from all sides; rather, it concentrates his Bankai into fewer blades, thus increasing his attack power. While Byakuya can mentally control these swords, he commonly calls them to his hands for actual melee combat. When in his hand, they lose their glow, and take the form of his sealed Zanpakutō. It seems to take fewer blows from a Senkei blade to gravely injure an opponent than the multiple cuts needed from the unfocused Bankai. Senkei seals Byakuya in with his enemy, allowing neither combatant to move very far from each other, though the area is still large enough for maneuverability. The deadliest aspect of the Senkei form is that it allows for use of all the swords at the same attack level, making it a way to effectively defeat an enemy unaware of the danger of the situation. It is extremely rare for Byakuya to use this ability, doing so only when he has sworn to cut down the opponent with his very own hands. Ichigo is the second being to ever witness the ability. This technique requires Byakuya's blood to activate.
- Ikka Senjinka (一咬 千刃花, One Bite, Thousand Bladed Flower; Viz "One Bite Thousand Blade Flowers"): Byakuya attacks a single target with all of his Senkei swords at once.
- Gōkei (吭景, Mawscape): This form increases the number of tiny blades immensely. It creates a spherical formation of innumerable blade fragments, which swirl around the opponent like a cloud before flying into them from every possible angle, leaving no blind spots and no possibility of escape. It proceeds to collapse in on itself, obliterating the opponent. When used, it completely obliterated a very large building from the inside out, and the resulting shockwave generated by the attack forced Byakuya himself to Flash Step away.
- Shūkei: Hakuteiken (終景: 白帝剣, Endscape: White Emperor Sword; Viz "Last Sight: White Emperor Sword"): This condenses each and every one of his blades into a single, potent sword, drastically increasing its cutting power. The spiritual energy and pressure released by this form is immense. The blade appears bright white, and its aura takes the form of a bird, earning it the name Hakuteiken (白帝剣, White Imperial Sword; Viz: "White Emperor Sword"). Pure white wings form on Byakuya's back, as well as a halo-like circle, made of concentrated spiritual energy. This form's blade can create aggravated injuries in a single blow.
Kidō Master: Byakuya has considerable knowledge of high level Kidō spells, casting several in quick succession, with no incantation and almost no effort, and still possessing formidable power. He has used spells up to level 81, and possesses advanced knowledge of Kidō application and consistency. He can use a low-level spell repeatedly in rapid succession and with devastating effects, as well as a counter to attacks. He uses a low-level lightning spell to burn a hole right through Ichigo's shoulder.
- Unnamed Barrier: Byakuya covers his target in a barrier. He can use this to protect someone.
- Hadō #1: Shō (衝, Thrust): As the practitioner points at his/her target with his/her index finger, a small amount of energy is dispelled from the tip of the index finger with enough force to thrust a considerable amount of kinetic force at a target, which is pushed back a few feet from the practitioner.
- Hadō #4: Byakurai (白雷, Pale Lightning): The practitioner gathers high-density spiritual energy, which they discharge from both hands. Alternatively, the practitioner points at the intended target with their index finger and generates a concentrated bolt of lighting to use against the target.
- Hadō #33: Sōkatsui (蒼火墜, Blue Fire, Crash Down): Blue flames discharge from the palm. The practitioner aims the palm of their hand at their target and generates a torrent of blue energy before firing it at their target. The energy moves like a direct blast or a large wave of energy, depending on the amount of power which is placed into it. Depending on the user's proficiency with the technique, it can damage an opponent's Bankai. Kuchiki Clan members are well versed in this Hadō.
- Bakudō #61: Rikujōkōrō (六杖光牢, Six Rods Prison of Light; Viz "Six-Rod Light Restraint"): Summons six thin, wide beams of light that slam into a target's midsection, holding them in place. The target is then unable to move any part of their body including the parts that were not struck by the beams.
- Bakudō #81: Dankū (斷空, Splitting Void): A defensive wall created to protect against an enemy's attack. The practitioner creates a translucent barrier in the form of a large rectangular wall. It is capable of stopping Kidō-based attacks with power up to level 89.
Key: Soul Society Arc | Arrancar Saga | Lost Agent Arc | Thousand Year Blood War Arc/Post-Royal Guard Training