|“||I shall not kill you that easily. Allow me to take my time and enjoy this! I have no intention of laying hands on Index, but if I do not take this out on you, I will lose myself!||„|
|~ Aureolus Izzard|
Aureolus Izzard (アウレオルス＝イザード Aureorusu Izādo) is the main antagonist of the second story arc of Toaru Majutsu no Index. He is a powerful magician and alchemist, and he's also a descendant from Paracelsus. He is a member of the Zurich-school of alchemy (a type of Hermeticism) that has perfected his alchemy to the state where his thoughts are turned into reality, a technique called Ars Magna. Aureolus was one of the temporal partners of Index Librorum Prohibitorum, but when he couldn't save her when she underwent her yearly memory erasure he secluded himself for years to figure out a way to save her from that condition. He came to the conclusion that capturing a vampire (who would have endless memory capacity due to their immortality) and turning Index into a vampire would save her, unaware that Kamijou Touma had already saved her after meeting her in Academy City.
Powers and Stats
Tier: Unknown, at least 8-C, likely higher via powerscaling
Name: Aureolus Izzard, Honos628 (My honor is for the world)
Origin: To Aru Majutsu No Index
Classification: Human, Magician, Alchemist
Speed: Normal Human, likely higher with Ars Magna
Lifting Strength: Regular Human, likely higher with Ars Magna
Striking Strength: Human Class, likely higher with Ars Magna
Durability: Human level, likely higher with Ars Magna
Stamina: Average. Relies heavily on Ars Magna so the extent of his physical abilities are unknown.
Range: Unknown. Likely infinite. Has been shown to be able to manipulate space/distance.
Standard Equipment: Hand-sized needles, Aureolus Dummy
Intelligence: High due to his immense alchemic and magical knowledge. He figured out a way to gain Ars Magna, something thought to be impossible to achieve in one lifetime.
Weaknesses: His main power requires an immense amount of concentration. It cannot be used if he is too stressed out, and he can be betrayed by involuntary and stray thoughts if he fails to keep his mental focus
-Ars Magna (黄金練成 (アルス＝マグナ) Ōgon Rensei (Arusu Maguna), lit. "Golden Training"): Ars Magna (Latin for Great Work) is a powerful form of alchemy in which an alchemist would achieve their ultimate goal of creating a simulation of the world inside their mind. By changing that mental simulation with their thoughts they can drag those changes into the real world, essentially making the user able to mold and control the real world with their thoughts. This allows Aureolus to think of anything and make it into reality, however, he requires great concentration for it to properly work, or else it may cause considerable unwanted effects. Because of this, he uses needles to stab himself with in the neck to clear his mind and allow him to concentrate. After attaining sufficient concentration, Izzard then verbally express a command (to focus more his thoughts in the desired effect) to initiate the effects that he desired, which initially tricked Touma and Stiyl into believing he was distorting reality through his words. The commands can be of simple to complex phrases depending on the effect in question that he wishes to manifest. Of course, while Ars Magna allows him to materialize his very thoughts into reality, it does not actually enable him to alter (or undo in any way) the laws of reality, since it's ultimately based on a mental simulation of the real world and is subordinate to its laws.
Despite being the ultimate goal of alchemists, until Aureolus nobody had been able to achieve it, as one needs to understand every law of the world to be able to create a perfect simulation in their brain. Thus, if even a single law is wrong, the internal image would be distorted and the spell wouldn't work. Additionally, the extremely long chant would normally take centuries, thus making it impossible for a single individual to do it. Aureolus admitted that he got passed that by using the two thousand students in Misawa Cram School to simultaneously obtain knowledge. By utilizing the Gregorian Chant Replica to chant the spell simultaneously, he was able to bypass the time required to chant the spell by accelerating the chant 120 times, allowing him to achieve Ars Magna in half a day. However, since the people chanting were espers the chant continuously harmed them and even killed them, but Aureolus kept reviving them.
List of known Ars Magna commands:
- "I will come to you now" - Allows Aureolus to move instantly toward the target. It is akin to teleportation.
- "You shall not touch me" - Makes the target unable to touch Aureolus. The distance between Aureolus and his target seems to increase with each attempt to get closer.
- "Forget everything" - Erases the target's memory.
- "Grovel" - Forces targets to kneel before him as if several dozens of invisible hands were holding their bodies down, making even moving an arm a millimeter at a time extremely difficult.
- "Die" - Kills the target. The target simply dies without any wounds, blood loss or sickness; described as being like if their battery had just ran out or their soul had been removed from their body. The victim of the command merely felt as if her consciousness was falling into a deep darkness.
- "Sleep" - Makes the target fall into a deep sleep.
- "Suffocate" - Suffocates the target by stopping their breathing.
- "Strangle him" - Summons dozes of ropes to strangle the target
- "Electrocute him" - Surrounds the enemy with pale blue electric lights that burn through the air as they rush the enemy.
- "Crush him to death" - Crushes a target by summoning a heavy object (like a car) above them. It is implied that Aureolus can choose how one gets crushed.
- "Open" - Opens doors or anything that can be conceptually perceived as "closed."
- "Bring (object) to my hand..." - Creates an object that can be held Aureolus's hand. Exact details and purpose of said object are required for the command to work.
- "...Stop the projectile. Fall to the ground, meaningless thrown stone." - Stops a projectile and then makes it fall to the ground.
- "Float into the air" - Makes the target float to a certain height as if there was no gravity.
- "Explode from the inside" - The target's body inflates like a balloon for a moment before exploding into a mess of flesh, bone, blood and organs. Despite the gruesome explosion, the target doesn't die. The blood vessels are still connected and carrying blood to all parts of the body and the organs are not destroyed and still function properly, as the target is reduced to a collection of living scattered pieces.
- "Be torn to pieces" - Rips apart the target's skin and clothes. This is the anime version of the previous command.
- "Revert back to normal" - Returns something to a state that Aureolus deems "normal."
-Aureolus Dummy (錬金の真似事 (アウレオルス＝ダミー) Renkin no Marugoto (Aureorusu Damī), lit. "Make-Believe Alchemy"): Using basic materials and Telesma to create a Celtic Cross for a focus, Aureolus can create an Homunculus copy of himself referred to as the Aureolus Dummy, which he used as a guard. The Aureolus Dummy wasn't completely mentally stable, being prone to ramblings and easily angered. He also believed he was the original Aureolus Izzard. The dummy itself is as fragile as a human, as he had his limbs easily chopped off by Stiyl's flame sword. However, due to the fact he gathered ambient mana from the building he wasn't immediately destroyed when touched by Imagine Breaker, instead IB causes him to gradually lose energy until it vanishes after some time passes. Aureolus stated that he could immediately reconstruct the Limen Magna spell (and likely the dummy itself) as long as there was remaining mana in the building.
- Limen Magna (瞬間錬金 (リメン＝マグナ) Shunkan Rensei (Rimen Maguna), lit. "Instant Alchemy"): The magic used by the Aureolus Dummy. Using a dart on a chain that he hides within his sleeves, he propels the chain in order to hit the target with dart and quickly retracts it to shoot it again, up to a rate of six to ten shots per second. When the dart hits an object, it instantly turns it into molten gold. It is unknown if formless objects, such as fire, can be turned into gold through it. His Limen Magna in actuality, is the entire Misawa Cram School which the true Aureolus Izzard had turned into a base. This allows the dummy to recreate the dart and chain as many times as he wants, as long as the main body is supplied with mana and the shape of the tool is recreated, he can use it again. Furthermore, the dummy can use Limen Magna on his own body, as he used it to create makeshift prosthetics after losing limbs to Stiyl's attacks, although he is not immune to the molten gold's effects. It's possible Aureolus himself can use Limen Magna, as the dummy is an almost perfect copy of him.